peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Mazda B3000: Eric. I have a 94 Mazda b3000 3.0. Given

Customer Question

Hello Eric. I have a 94 Mazda b3000 3.0. Given to me due to the truck had overheated and head gasket issue. Had heads worked, engine bored 20 over, new everything. New everything under hood as well. 3 core radiator, higher performance stock fan as well as a single electric fan for back-up on a switch if needed. New hoses, heater core, etc. at 1500 miles I was unhappy that the re-build was still using a little oil (brake in) and running a little hot. I took back to machine shop to go over everything. He found nothing but ordered a new kit and re-built everything again. I have 3000 miles on it now. Does not burn oil and runs great. Butttt, I still have same issue as day one. Truck runs hot no mater what I do. It will climb to 240 easily. Yesterday, 250. It does not use coolant. If higher speeds, yes, it starts to cool down. You can not let it sit for any length of time. I have the best of everything on it. Mechanical gauges, high end thermostat, radiator cap, etc. all replaced 3 times. I don't understand at all. I don't know everything, but I'm a reasonable backyard mechanic. Can you help Eric?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I have seen before where small engine block cracks were missed by machine shops if they did not remove the engine and test it completely and this will allow excess heat and cause this here.If you know for sure the heads are o.k.,the fans are working and no air flow issues here at all this does sound to be the cause.The only other issues I have seen is poor air flow in from the front of the vehicle due to design or a problem with the body of the vehicle.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete. But with a crack in the block, wouldn't I be loosing coolant? I have now removed the extra electric fan (in case it was blocking airflow) and removed the A/C condenser just for test purposes. Haven't tested yet. Can timing being off at all cause this issue? Thank you, Randy
In some cases the crack may be allowing exhaust into the cooling system causing an over heat issue and may not be allowing coolant into the engine or losing coolant.
If the timing is off or if the engine is running lean this will also cause an over heat issue.This should be checked into as well to see if any of these conditions exist at all.
Thanks Pete