Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mazda 3 Mazdaspeed: Good afternoon Drew,I have an 08 mazdaspeed

Customer Question

Good afternoon Drew,
I have an 08 mazdaspeed 3 and have had numerous troubles with this car. Starting off, the car is heavily modded with an aftermarket turbo. Since this was my first car, I Initially took it to cheap shops and they have pretty much butchered it up. p2122,p0091, u2064 codes come up on my obd2 reader.
I have done a fair amount of research and learned the inns and outs of this car, and performed multiple repairs and maintenance such as replacing spark plugs, intake air filter, maf sensor, main obd2 sensor. I am aware that the u2064 code comes on simultaneously when other codes are recognized by the PCM. I've had my CPE aftermarket pump repaired recently so I think the p0091 was brought up by a bad PCM, and is not pump related. I have read that there has been an update for PCM reflashes for the 08 speed3. The reason I think it is PCM related is because I have taken my car to an car electrical component specialist with a used PCM and they replaced/reflashed years ago. I thought the car was fixed because the car started running. But I noticed they connected a new wire to the yellow wire ( connecting from one PCM connector to the other, on the wire harness assembly) to the negative on the battery. I am positive it is the specific yellow wire because I physically ripped open the tape and traced the wire. I found this new wire odd right away, and thought the sputtering was from a bad tune. I also noticed that when the new wire was disconnected to the neg battery, the car would not stay running at all ( Engine would turn over then die before idling).
I drove the car for a while, but the symptoms got worse. Then I noticed the above mentioned codes popped up. The car began sputtering a lot especially between shifts. Then I was driving on the highway and suddenly I heard it sputtering then stalled whiled driving. I pulled over and tried starting the car again but it would not idle once again. I disconnected the negative battery multiple times but it did not start the car. After waiting 30 minutes, out of nowhere, the car randomly started running again and I was able to drive it home. Would you be able to confirm that my PCM needs the mentioned update. ( you posted this information in the past)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IDS/PDS B-52 & LATER CALIBRATION UPDATES
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
CX7 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
Mazda3 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
Mazda5 2006-2007 000000 ZZZZZZ
Mazda6 2005-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
Tribute 2008-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ
Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
Engine / Fuel System / Does Not Turn-Off/Warning Light
Engine / Fuel System / Improper Operation
Engine / On-Board Diagnostics / Improper Operation
MTOL - 5708 Dealer Repair Information
Symptom and Conditions
The following lists shows updated calibrations for the PCM of Mazda vehicles included in the IDS/PDS VCM 2007.11 DVD.
Repair Procedure
YEAR VEHICLE NAME SUBJECT OF REPAIR RI/SB
NEW PCM/TCM P/N & FILENAME information
________________________________________________________________________
07-08 Mazdaspeed 3 Rough Idle, Lack of Power
06-07 Mazdaspeed 6 and/or MIL on P2177//P2187 5701/01-022/08
07-08 CX-7
PCM
B52.2
Model Spec Eng. Trans Filename New PCM Calibration P/N
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/mazda/5r31d-2008-mazda-acceleration-sputtering-reprogrammed.html#ixzz3byIow9k7
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clear up my claims, I have attached an image of the spliced wire. The yellow wire I am holding is the spliced wire I have mentioned in my original post. I received it form the shop with a new piece of wire spliced into this wire connecting to the negative terminal of the battery. Then I went ahead and sautered it because I thought there was a bad connection due to hesitation issues. However, this did not fix the issue. The yellow wire connects to the other pcm connector harness ( in the back of this picture)
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.Yes, I still need help urgently. I have yet to check open circuits or shorts on the accelerator pedal sensor, but I am not sure about how to go about it. Furthermore, I am coming to the conclusion this is once again pcm related because of the erratic changes in performance. Thanks
Hi
I too agree a PCM update is worth a shot based on what you have done and the issues now. If you feel the diag steps for these codes will help, I can post those for you.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris