Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Mazda RX-8: I have a 2006 Mazda rx8 and needed a new switchblade

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Mazda rx8 and needed a new switchblade key to replace the old one. I have a regular key to start automobile that is separate from the old remote. When I got the new switchblade key, I programmed it and it works. But the key does not start the car. The old key still starts the car, but the switchblade key does not work. The remote on the switchblade works, not the key. What shall I do about the key on the switchblade remote?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.The key portion will have to be programmed with a factory level scan tool. There is no way to DIY that part.
Well short of buying a thousand dollar or more scan tool anyway.Your cheapest option is to drive it to a properly equipped locksmith. Theyre usually far cheaper than a dealer and if you have any kind of roadside assistance you may even be able to recoup a lot of the expense from them.Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thank you