Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mazda Protege DX: My mazda protege 98 wont power on...when

Customer Question

My mazda protege 98 wont power on...when i turn the start switch to accessory or run position absolutely nothing happens...battery is good
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Open the file below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/98protegePD.pdf
For each key position do the fuses powered for each ignition switch position circuit, then show battery voltage?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i am getting voltage at the fuse box...let me point out a few other crazy things it is doing to help you pin point thw problem....
1. I am able to change the gears with the key out and brake not depressed...under normal operation this is only posdible when engine is running
2. I cant turn the headlights or hazard lights on either...which is a differrent circuit.
3. I thought maybe a bad battery or main circuit breaker (100A), but they are fine...when everything us good, even with battery disconnected you cant change gears like now
4. The voltage drop at the ignition is ideally 12v or 0 depending on different situations....but i am reading 3.5v
4. So I thought it was ignition key, and i disconnected all the cables going to ignition key...but still no differenceLet me know what you think
I do not believe I can figure this out not in person. All I can offer at this point is the wire diagrams if needed. if not then I would need to opt out.