Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

Mazda 626 LX: I have a 1996 Mazda 626 2.0L automatic transmission

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Mazda 626 2.0L automatic transmission And my question is How do you adjust the timing? I looked in the book and it said to remove the shorting bar My car don't have a shorting bar or it said to connect a jumper wire between the TEN terminal and the GND terminal at the underhood diagnosis connector There is no wire in the TEN pin Is it even possible to adjust the timing on my car?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you sure no teminal in the TEN terminal? shown below?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no wire going to the TEN pin

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
you will not have a wire going to it, You need to cut a short piece of wire and jump GND to the TEN then set timing, to 9-11 degrees. I prefer around 10 degrees, then remove your jumpoer wire. Be sure idle is at normal low idle before adjustment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no wire in the TEN pin

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
I have never seent hat before so,, otpion /3 2 would need to be done which is a scanner is hooked up, since you likely do not have a scanner to do this timing set? then I would set the timing to aroun 9 degrees, BTDC, it will wind up being very close. All the jumper does is tunr off timing advance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I move the distributor it does nothing I can move it all the way to both sides and does nothing The timing does not change

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
ok, I have to opt out,.I am not understanbding this etc, Another expert should be long shortly to help,Please save the rating for the expert that helps, Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok,Thanks