Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Mazda rx8: 2004 rx 8 white milky substance on the dipstick.

Customer Question

2004 rx 8 white milky substance on the dipstick. Grandson just bought it. So we don't know history of the car.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information.

In February 2005 Mazda Motor Corporation issued a technical service bulletin concerning a milky substance on the dipstick. Ask you dealer about TSB: 01-050/06. If the milky substance is to much of a bother there is a service procedure for replacing a hose in between the intake air hose and the oil filler pipe. The labor for replacing this hose is 1.2 hours plus parts.

On some rotary engines, during engine oil level check, a milky substance sticking to the oil level stick may be found. This milky substance does not affect engine performance or any other functions of the vehicle. During cooler weather, moisture contained in blow-by gases (exhaust, oil, fuel, water vapor) is cooled by the inter-mediate housing wall and condenses due to difference in temperature. The moisture reacts chemically with the engine oil in the intermediate housing and the milky substance appears. The substance eventually dissipates when engine reaches full operating temperature. This milky substance does not affect the quality of the engine oil and engine performance is not affected. Mazda Motor Corporation has verified the amount of moisture in the oil is within the acceptable standard for motor oils commonly found in the market.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks so much.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
You last viewed this thread on May 23rd, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Thanks so much.