Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda Protege LX: my 2003 mazda protege just died. engine shut

Customer Question

my 2003 mazda protege just died. engine shut off with no sputtering or smoke. it has battery, cranks, and feels like it has compression but will not turn over. doesnt sound like it has spark. any ideas? the main relay seemed really hot to the touch
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. On "cranks-but-won't-start" situations, the first step in the diagnosis is always to determine what element is missing: Fuel (pressure/volume and injector pulse), spark at the plugs, or engine compression. Once that missing element is identified, then we can proceed with the pinpoint tests that will reveal the root cause of the no-start.Are you planning on tackling this project yourself? If so, you're going to need access to tools such as spark tester, Noid light, fuel pressure tester, test lamp, and other assorted hand tools.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I'm sure that would be the most professional approach, I need the most expeditious process of elimination approach. I have limited tools, limited resources, and fairly extensive mechanical knowledge. Can you help?
In my previous response I outlined the most practical and expeditious way to diagnose a no start - the whole process of checking fuel, spark and compresion shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Fuel pressure testers are available from auto parts houses through their various loan-a-tool programs; spark testers and Noid Lights are also available for less than $20 each from the same parts houses. When you take into consideration the rates automotive shops charge nowadays, it would make sense to invest a few bucks in these tools, then use my knowledge and your mechanical skills to save yourself a bunch of money. I'm signing off for today. I'll be back online tomorrow after 2 PM. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I'll check those things in the a.m. and let you know what i find. Thanks for your time
I'm usually online every weekday after 2PM ET Best Regards.