Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

Mazda 3: Have a 2004 mazda 3 2.3 that just put a new battery

Customer Question

Have a 2004 mazda 3 2.3 that just put a new battery in cuz it was having starting issues. Now it starts but as soon as I give it any gas it stalls. So its not running for all intents and purposes. Ive heard other people have had similar issues. Whats the best solution without spending hundreds for someone to look?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One thing that may occur anytime you change the battery is the PCM (computer) looses its closed throttle values. Your throttle body is an electronic TB. One thing you can try is disconnect the negative battery cable and then remove the TB and give it a good cleaning inside and out with a soft cloth and some carb cleaner. One you have done so, reinstall it as well as the battery cable and then start the engine and allow it to idle for about 15 minute to allowed the PCM to re-learn the closed throttle values. Once you have done this give it a try and see if the problem has cleared.