peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My car is a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon. My problem started 3 weeks

Customer Question

My car is a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon. My problem started 3 weeks ago on an extended trip. I was 275 miles into a 350 mile trip when my cruise quit. Then the radio quit, followed by the ABS and anti slip dash lights coming on. The battery light came on and then the car started to cough like it wasn't getting gas. In a strange coincidence, several deer jumped up in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. Then the car started to run right. This went on for 30 minutes until I met up with my partner. He looked at the battery connections, we sat for a while so I could find a shop to look at the car and then took off. The car was now running fine. The tech at the car shop hooked my car up to a computer, the alternator and battery tested fine. I did not drive the car for several days, when I started off for home, it started acting up again about 150 miles from the start of my journey. It completely stopped twice, I got a jump start each time and was finally able to make it home. I live only five blocks from work, and there were no problems getting around my small town. Last Thursday, I took off again to meet my partner, the problems started again about 150 miles in. I was able to get to my destination, but drove about 60 miles an hour the last part of the way. Friday another mechanic looked at the car, hooked it up to his computer, told me that the battery and alternator was fine, the belt is fine. He said that when the engine was over 3000 RPM, something was pulling power, but he didn't know what. When I left for home on Saturday, again the car started acting up about 150 miles down the road. Again it stopped completely and had to get road side service. I was told it was my battery, put a new battery in, and the problem started right up again immediately. I was able to keep the car going, but at a very reduced speed. Do you have any suggestions as to what this could be.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This sounds like a battery cable connection at the battery itself or to where the battery cables run and connect to.I would have the cables checked for high resistance in case a cable is faulty needing replaced as well as the connections at the battery and to where they run and connect.I would also have the power feed connections checked leading to the fuse panels as well for any loose connections as well as ground connections on the engine and body.I suspect the fault will be with one of these here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, thank you for getting back to me. I was giving up hope of anyone answering my question. I live in a small area, the only fellow that I trust to look at the car will not be able to do so until the 12th of May. I will give him your response and see if it will solve the problem. If I knew anything about cars, I would try to do so myself. It is so congested under the hood of my car, you have to take the front wheels off to change a headlight. I am going to rate you as good now since I don't know if this will work. If it does, I will come back and rate you at excellent.