Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda CX-7 Sport: 2007 CX-7A Exhaust leak from between Manifold

2007 CX-7A Exhaust leak from between Manifold and Turbo. Is it common and please give steps to replace.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

This is not a common problem and normally only happens if the turbo has been replaced before and either the bolts were not tightened or the gasket was not replaced. This job is a nightmare. If the vehicle is from a area where road salt and rust is common, then just about every exhaust bolt is going to strip or break. You will need to replace all bolts, nuts and studs related to the repair. If you have all-wheel drive, you will need to remove the transfer case first to access the cat. conv and turbo. Most of this job is done from under the vehicle.

Good luck and thanks.
Drew

graphic

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the charge air cooler duct.
3. Remove the charge air cooler cover.
4. Remove the charge air cooler.
5. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
6. Install in the reverse order of removal.

1

Main silencer

2

Seal ring (middle pipe side)

(See .)

(See .)

3

Middle pipe

4

Front pipe

5

Seal ring (WU-TWC side)

(See .)

(See .)

6

Clip

7

Rear HO2S

(See .)

8

Exhaust manifold insulator (Upper)

(See .)

9

Front HO2S

(See.)

10

Exhaust manifold insulator (Lower)

11

WU-TWC insulator

12

WU-TWC bracket

13

WU-TWC

(See )

(See )

14

Exhaust manifold

(See )

15

Exhaust manifold gasket

HO2S Removal Note

1. Remove the HO2S using the SST before removing the exhaust manifold.

Exhaust Manifold Insulator (Upper) Removal Note

1. Remove the charge air cooler bracket.
2. Remove the exhaust manifold insulator (upper)

WU-TWC Removal Note

2WD
1. Remove the generator duct.
2. Remove the WU-TWC.
4WD
1. Remove the cowl grille.
2. Remove the windshield wiper motor.
3. Remove the cowl panel.
4. Remove the generator duct.
5. Set the generator out of the way.
6. Remove the WU-TWC.

Exhaust Manifold Installation Note

1. Tighten the exhaust manifold installation nuts in the order shown.
    Tightening torque
  • 43—64 N·m {4.4—6.5 kgf·m, 32—47 ft·lbf}

WU-TWC Installation Note

1. Temporarily tighten No.1 shown in the figure.

2. Temporarily tighten No.2 shown in the figure.
3. Temporarily tighten No.3 shown in the figure.
4. Completely tighten No.1 shown in the figure.
    Tightening torque
  • 38—51 N·m {3.9—5.2 kgf·m, 29—37 ft·lbf}

5. Completely tighten No.2 shown in the figure.
    Tightening torque

6. Completely tighten No.3 shown in the figure.
    Tightening torque

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

What is the labor time for this job?

thx

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
I do not have my labor guide in front of me but I can double check tomorrow if needed.
Mazda pays 3.7 hours 2WD and 4.5 hours 4WD under warranty and I suspect book time to be 5-6 hours.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Removing the transfer case is part of the Trany, right? if so, will the hours given include this as well?

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
Yes the transfer case is bolted onto the trany if you have 4WD and the transfer case will need to be removed first before accessing the turbo. That time is included in the total repair of 6+ hours.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I will wait for the confirmation of the hours of this job.

Yes, it is 4WD.

thx

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
Labor time is 5.7 hours to replace the turbo. I suggest adding a couple hours to that for broken and stripped bolts.

Thanks
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.