Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda CX9: I just replaced the battery on my 2009 Mazda CX-9

I just replaced the battery on my 2009 Mazda CX-9 and now the Advanced Key will not work to start the ignition or unlock the doors. I can still start the ignition with the auxilliary key. Is there something I need to do to reset the Advanced Key?
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

There is nothing you need to do to reset the Advanced key.

I suggest trying a spare advanced key and see if the vehicle will start.

Make sure the red light on the advanced key illuminates red when any button is pressed.

Replace the battery in you advanced key and see if that resolves your concern.

Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Make sure there is no corrosion at any of the battery cables.

Check the room fuse to make sure it didn't blow. Also check all other fuses.

Try disconnecting the battery and hold your foot on the brake pedal for 1 minuter. Reconnect the battery and see if that resolves your concern.

If still no luck, I suggest bring to a Mazda dealer and have the fault codes checked in the modules and you may have to re-program the advanced key or replace it, which can only be done at a Mazda dealer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The keys reset after taking the battery out of the advanced key and putting it back in. All working fine now. Thanks