Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of Diagnostics / vehicle repair & servicing..

Mazda 3: Hi - I have a 2010 Mazda 3. I have had it for a year.

Hi - I have a 2010 Mazda 3. I have had it for a year. On three different occasions I had a surging of the engine as I was breaking to a stop. This happened once in August last year, once in Early January and once in early August of this year. Any ideas what could be the cause? Thanks in advance. Tom
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Tom is the check engine light "ON" when the engine is running.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

I did not not see a check light come on. Like I mentioned earlier,it only has happened 3 times n the last year. I am more concerned with safety. The last thing i want is an accident as it surges into oncoming traffic while stopping. Thanks

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Greg has seemingly opted out of this question - so I will help you from here.

Can I just ask, is this a manual or auto trans - ?

Rgds, MIKE...............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike - the vehicle has an automatic transmission. Thanks for following up. Regards.

Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

Ok - this is what I thought -so why I asked.

There are situations with these that can cause what you have when they develop faults with the torque converter - it causes what is termed a Lurch.. effect when it plays up. Given that you describe what you have - I strongly suspect thats whats going on here -

Ask the dealer if there are any software updates available to cure this issue - as its electronically controlled - on some marques there are - not all - but its worth asking.

If not, then I do suspect thats what happening here, you would have to further the discussions with the dealer on this as obviously its something that they would have to take up and sort out for you. Its not a very well known or common issue but it does happen -

There could of course be other causes - but given whats been discussed / done already, thats what I would be considering now.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

You need now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 34 years of Diagnostics / vehicle repair & servicing..