Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system

Mazda 626: steering wheel noise

steering wheel noise

Hello and welcome. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

Does the noise seem to actually be the steering wheel itself? (or in the column)

When does it make it? (when turning, moving, etc)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

seems to be in steering wheel. slite turn both ways. can not the location with a hearing scope no difference from steering wheel to middle of colume

It could possibly be in steering shaft bearing Larry. They don't have a lot of information as to replacing them though and normally when out of warranty it is best to replace the column with a good used one. They will make a sort of scratchy sound when the bearing is bad.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this sound like rubber rubbing ,took cover off for turn signal switch sounds like that's where it may be coming from

Yes, or it could be in the clock spring. They will make a high pitched sqealing that sounds like rubber, but you can normally tell it's at the top of the column. You could try it with the clock spring out to see if the noise goes away.

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK.
  2. Remove the column cover.
  3. Remove the driver-side air bag module
  4. Remove the steering wheel.

1. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
  2. Install in the reverse order of removal.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.