Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Mazda 323: Hi Mike, Yesterday I met another Mazda 323 owner,

Hi Mike, Yesterday I met another Mazda 323 owner, his was a 1988 GTX 4WD model. In speaking with him I mentioned I had ordered a code scanner. His response was that these model cars (1987-1989) can’t be connected to a scanner. Are you sure they can be?

I'd like to run a check on the TPS - can you give me the procedure to do so?

Thanks
Jose Daubon
Yes they can be connected you just have to have the correct attachment which the scanner you ordered shows to come with. As far as the tps I will get that info for you but it will be later this afternoon as I am at work at the moment. Thank you. Also if for some reason the scan tool won't communicate with vehicle we will work through it and get the codes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No hurry. When you have the time please read the scenario I presented on one of my other communications with you regarding the "bogging down" issue. I'd like your opinion.

Thanks.

Will do. Thank you.

TPS

Unfasten the throttle sensor connector. Connect a suitable ohmmeter to the sensor as shown in the illustration.

• Open the throttle valve and observe the resistance readings. Normal readings are as follows:

• Throttle opening A to B:

Idle position: approximately 1k ohms Full open position: approximately 4-6k ohms
    Throttle opening A to C:

Idle position: approximately 4-6k ohms Full open position: approximately 4-6k ohms

graphic

• Reattach the connector. If the resistance readings are not as specified, adjust the throttle sensor.
  •  

ADJUSTMENT

See Figures 2 and 3

1. Warm up the engine to operating temperature, then shut it OFF . Unfasten the connector from the throttle position sensor. Connect the throttle position sensor tester (Part No. 49-F018-001 or equivalent) to the green check connector. Turn the ignition switch ON and check whether one of the tester lamps illuminates.

If such a tester is not available, you can substitute two voltmeters as illustrated. Instead of illumination, look for needle sweeps.

1. If both lamps illuminate or if neither one does, turn the throttle sensor adjusting screw until only one of them lights. Turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise if both lamps illuminate or clockwise if both lamps DO NOT illuminate.
    2. Reinstall the cap on the screw after adjustment is completed.

Do not apply excessive pressure on the adjusting screw, as it may cause incorrect adjustment.

The vacuum line should be 1/4 inch that you were asking about in the other post.

Also the TPS can cause the bogging down that you are describing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike, the first set of instructions refer to Connector blade letters A, B & C. However, your illustration does not show which is which is which. The adjustment explanation refers to figures 2 and 3 which are not included, please provide since I don't have the TPS tester. If I find I need to replace the TPS, will it need adjustment once installed?

Thanks

Pepe

Ok give me a few minutes and I will upload the pics.

ok since you do not have the tool use the method below.

graphic

graphic

Warm up the engine to operating temperature, then shut it OFF . Unfasten the connector from the throttle position sensor. Connect the throttle position sensor tester (Part No. 49-F018-001 or equivalent) to the green check connector. Turn the ignition switch ON and check whether one of the tester lamps illuminates.

2. Reinstall the cap on the screw after adjustment is completed

If the sensor needs to be replaced follw the adjustment procedure above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike! Just wanted to let you know that the "bogging down" problem with the 323 was in fact a fuel delivery problem. Since I changed the fuel filter last week and found so much gunk in the back end of the old filter I had decided to purchase the Fuel Pump Strainer. I changed it out yesterday. Honestly, I don't know how the engine even ran! The strainer was completely clogged! As I worked on the pump, I stirred up the contents of the tank, and what I saw resembled a mud puddle!! Seriously!.. So I have bumped up the priority of dealing with the tank! Yes, I will change the strainer and filter again once I clean the tank out. Do you think I should have the injectors professionally cleaned?

With that amount of gunk and debris the injectors would have no choice but to be affected and yes I would have them professionally cleaned after the tank is cleaned out.