Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda Mazda 3 i Touring: I am in the process of buying a used

Customer Question

I am in the process of buying a used Mazda3 I touring with 17K miles on it. I am getting an inconsistent vibration from the front right of the car and occasionally a loud pop… can you give me any idea as to what this might be and Should I follow through with the purchase.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

This does not sound like a common concern on these vehicles.

There may be a problem with the front strut internally or something associated with the tire and wheel.

The vehicle has a 3 yr 36k mile warranty that should cover any necessary repairs needed to resolve this concern.

You can have the seller fix the concerns before you purchase the vehicle.

Otherwise they are a great vehicle and I would buy it.

Make sure it has never been in a accident and the title is clean.

You should be able to bring it to a Mazda dealer and have it repaired without any problem.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you be a little more specific about what part of the struts? I originally thought I had a flat tire…but then it went away and then came back. The pop occurred when I was pulling into a parking spot and I don't remember what i was doing the first time I heard it. I also made a U-turn and it sounded like the tire was rubbing against the wheel well.

The car is a Mazda certified use vehicle. Shouldn't they caught that on inspection?

I really value your expertise in this situation because you are not part of the dealership.

They told me to bring it in on Monday before we finish signing papers. And a Technician would do a ride along.I want to see what they tell me… I feel like if they tell me nothing then I shouldn't buy it.

My closest dealer outside of the one that is selling it to me is 83 miles away. I just want to make sure this won't be something that will be a continuing issue later down the road.

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
There may be a internal strut problem with the piston and seals inside the strut that are not serviceable. The entire strut would need to be replaced.

During a certified inspection by the technician, if they had the radio on or only went for a short test drive, they may not have heard the noise.

The best thing to do is take it for a test drive with the technician to verify all noise concerns and make sure that you have written in the "WE OWE" slip, that you make sure that they resolve all you noise concerns. After you sign the papers, you will have the "WE OWE" slip that says that they will fix all your noise concerns. After they repair the concerns, test drive again to make sure all concerns were repaired.

All dealers are different and they may have some used car guy doing the certified used car who may not be as knowledgeable as one of the other Mazda technicians to diagnose and repair the concern.

Stay firm and make sure they understand that you want all the concerns resolved before you take delivery of the vehicle.

If they say it is normal noise, tell them you want to test drive another like vehicle on the lot and see if you hear the same noise.

Once you have documented the noise concern in the Mazda system, the information is saved and you can keep bringing it back until they resolve the concern and not have to pay for any of the repairs.

After the tech goes for a ride with you, ask them to put it on the hoist so you can look see under the vehicle and have them explain to you what is causing the noise and what repair is needed.

Thanks
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate you time and expertise. I am a college student and need a vehicle that will last. Thank You!

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions after your visit back to the dealer, just reply back here as you have been, and I will be glad to continue answering all your questions.

Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Zoom Zoom!!!!

Thanks
Drew