Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Mazda 3: I have a 2004 mazda 3 car. It has a grinding that

I have a 2004 mazda 3 car. It has a grinding that you can hear and feel. It occurs when the vehicle is in gear, not necessary going forward, but it does not do it all in reverse. The noise is worse when you turn the wheel to the right and accelerate in low gears.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
Is this a automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

automatic

Ok the issue that you are describing is consistent with a failing axle bearing in the right side. This is a fairly common issue on these transmissions. The first step I would suggest is having the axle on the right side to ensure that the issue is not a failed inner joint. Then with the vehicle on a hoist check the movement inside the transmission where the axle inserts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You do understand that it makes this noise in drive while sitting still. It does not make the noise in reverse whether driving or not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another thing, when you turn right and you hear the noise, it is on the left side that the noise is coming from.

Yes. This is why I believe the noise is coming from the bearing that is inside of the transmission,eliminating the axle is just a hope,but what you are describing is going to be the axle beating inside the transmission which will require the transmission to be removed in order to repair this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any idea how much cost we will probably be looking at? I know you can't be exact being all mechanics may charge differently, but just a rough estimate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son owns this car and he is fixing to move to texas. He was going to be driving this car to get there that is the reason we are concerned about it. We figure we probably need to get it fixed first or maybe it will not make it there? Its a shame because he just purchased this car about 2 months ago from a buy here pay here place and still oXXXXX XXXXXke $6000 on the car!

This repair because of the removal and install of the transmission is going to cost around $1500 I would not recommend the drive before it is fixed.