Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda Tribute: I own a Mazda Tribute 2005 with 148,000 miles.

I own a Mazda Tribute 2005 with 148,000 miles. I recently had the alternator replaced and they had to lower or move the engine to get at the alternator. The day after, three cylinders stopped working. Could be a link between the work replacing the alternator and stoppage of the cylinders?
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Thanks for the request. I am just stepping out for the afternoon but will look for ant replies later.

Since the PCM engine computer is located under the hood in the firewall, I have seen several of these wires brake in the wiring harness between the engine and computer. It is possible that moving the engine may have damaged a wire but not common unless they really let the engine hang an pull on wiring harness. I suggest wiggling all wiring harness and checking the two main electrical connector on the top passenger side of the engine and all PCM computer connectors on the firewall. Disconnect and reconnect all connectors.

If still no luck and engine is running on three cylinders then you should have a check engine light on and fault code numbers to help determine which cylinders are not firing and the some electrical diagnosis will e required.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - can I assume that moving the engine is normal when changing the alternator. Also the check engine light did go on and they are currently checking the codes. I just thought it strange that the next day after supposedly fixing things, something such as three cylinders not working would occur

Yes it is common for have to drop the engine and subframe to remove the alternator on this vehicle. The alternator is on the back of the engine against the firewall at the bottom. Big alternator and small access hole.

Let me know what they come up with.