Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda CX-9 Sport: my car no longer cranks from the ignition.

Customer Question

my car no longer cranks from the ignition. It does not turnover the engine when i attach a wire to realay and battery + terminal.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to assist you.

Is the battery fully charged??

Are the battery cabled clean and tight??

Is the theft light flashing while attempting the crank the engine with the key??

Have you tried using a spare key to start the vehicle??

Is the vehicle in PARK??

Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid terminal at the starter to the batter B+??

Are there any fault codes stored in the computer??

Can you manually crank the engine over using a wrench on the front crank bolt to verify the engine is not seized or a belt driven accessory is not seized??

Make sure there is no aftermarket remote start or alarm system installed. If found, remove it.

If testing and trying all of these does not resolve your concern, please reply and I with all your results and I will get you the next diagnosis steps.

Thanks
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do i identify the theft sign?
Expert:  Drew replied 10 months ago.
It will be a red light in the instrument cluster that will say theft or have a picture of a car with a key symbol in it.

If there is a fault with the key, the theft light will flash when cranking and the computer will disable the engine fuel, spark and starter.

Thanks
Dre
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not see the key symbol. But the engine cranks and not running or start up. I am just wondering if its a starter issue.
Expert:  Drew replied 10 months ago.
You are confusing me. You say the engine cranks over but will not start. If the engine cranks, that means the starter is cranking the engine over.

Does the engine crank over but not start??

You need to go to the vehicle and try everything I suggested so that I can understand what is going on here.

Thanks
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I put a wire to the relay and to the battery. The engine goes nicely gooor gggoor, but would not run or start. It's willing to turn over but nothing happens. From the key start, the engine does nothing but lights the dashboard.
Expert:  Drew replied 10 months ago.
Ok so you can manually make the engine crank by jumping the starter relay. This means that the wiring to the starter is good, the starter is good and the engine is not seized.

Do you have the switch blade style key or advanced keyless entry?

When you use the key to try and crank the engine, does the theft light flash??

When you turn the key to the on position, all the lights should self test or illuminate for 5 seconds. You should see the theft light self test and go off. When holding key in the crank position, see if the theft light is on or flashing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a switch blade key attached to the remote. The remote key battery is dead. I have not seen that theft signal but that yellow circle with a an exclamation mark blinking in it>
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Again, do u think a reprogrammed BCM from the dealer will get the key out and the alarm will be working again, also engine can start>
Expert:  Drew replied 10 months ago.
Do you have the vehicle owners manual?? That will have a picture of all the instrument cluster lights and warning symbols to tell you where the theft light is and what it looks like.

The exclamation mark with yellow circle is normally a low tire pressure sensor identification.

Probably not.

If you have check everything I lister in my first answer and all checks out ok, you will need to bring to a Mazda dealer to have the fault codes checked and diagnose why you have a no crank concern.

If you cannot get the key to the full off position to remove the key, then there is something wrong with the shifter, shift interlock system or vehicle is not in park all the way.

Below is the diagnosis test for your engine will not crank concern.

I am going to bed and will look for any additional replies in the morning.

Thanks
Drew

2009 - CX-9 - Engine

NO.3 WILL NOT CRANK [MZI-3.7]

3

WILL NOT CRANK

DESCRIPTION

The starter does not work.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

• Open starter circuit between ignition switch and starter

• TR switch malfunction

• TR switch misadjustment

• Low or dead battery

• Charging system malfunction.

• Starter malfunction

• Seized/hydrolocked engine, drive plate

• Immobilizer system and/or circuit malfunction

• Immobilizer system operating properly. (Ignition key is not registered)

• Advanced keyless entry system malfunction

Diagnostic procedure

STEP

INSPECTION

RESULTS

ACTION

1

NOTE:

• The following test should be performed on the advanced keyless entry system. If not equipped, go to the next step.

Start the engine using the mechanical ignition key.

Does the engine start?

Yes

Inspect advanced keyless entry system and repair or replace according to inspection result.

No

Go to the next step.

2

Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2.

Do the following conditions appear?

• The engine is not completely started.

• DTC P1260 is displayed.

Yes

Both conditions appear:
  • Go to Step 4.

No

Either or other condition appears:
  • Go to the next step.

3

Is the coil antenna connector securely connected to the coil antenna?

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

Connect the coil antenna connector securely.

Return to Step 1.

4

Does the security light flush?

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

Inspect and repair or replace the following:

• Wiring harnesses and connectors from keyless control module terminal 3W and instrument cluster terminal 1W

• Wiring harness and connectors from keyless control module terminal 3X and instrument cluster terminal 1X

• Instrument cluster

5

Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2 and retrieve DTC for PCM, instrument cluster and keyless control module.

DTC
  • PCM: B1342, U0073, U0155

• Instrument cluster: B1213, B1600, B1601,B1602, B1681, B2103, B2139, B2431, U0100, U0214

• Keyless control module (with advanced keyless entry system): B1681, B2103, B1213

Yes

Go to appropriate DTC inspection.

No

Go to the next step.

6

Inspect for the following wiring harnesses and connectors:

With advanced keyless entry system
  • Between coil terminal A and keyless control module terminal 3V

• Between coil terminal B and keyless control module terminal 3U

Without advanced keyless entry system
  • Between coil terminal A and instrument cluster terminal 1E

• Between coil terminal B and instrument cluster terminal 1G

Is there any malfunction?

Yes

Repair or replace suspected wiring harness and connector.

No

Go to the next step. (with advanced keyless entry system)

Go to the Step 8. (without advanced keyless entry system)

7

Inspect the following wiring harnesses and connectors for an open or short circuit:

• Between keyless control module terminal 3W and instrument cluster terminal 1W

• Between keyless control module terminal 3X and instrument cluster terminal 1X

Is there any malfunction?

Yes

Repair or replace wiring harness and connectors.

No

Go to the next step.

8

• Between PCM terminal 1BG and instrument cluster terminal 1W

• Between PCM terminal 1BL and instrument cluster terminal 1X

Is there any malfunction?

Yes

No

Go to the next step.

9

Inspect the following:

• Battery connection

• Battery condition

• Fuses

• Transmission in Park or Neutral (AT)

Are all items normal?

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

Service if necessary.

Repeat Step 9.

10

Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2.

Turn ignition switch to the ON position. (Engine off)

Access TR PID.

Is TR PID indicated P/N when selecting P or N position

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

Inspect TR switch is adjusted properly, inspect for open or short circuit between TR switch and TCM.

Repair or replace components as required.

Then go to the next step.

11

Is clicking sound heard from starter relay when the ignition switch is turned to START?

Yes

Go to step 14.

No

Go to the next step.

12

Inspect the starter relay and following harnesses.

Between starter relay and PCM

Between starter relay and ignition switch

)

Are they normal?

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

Then go to step 11.

13

Inspect IGNITION switch and related harnesses.

Are they normal?

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

Then go to step 11.

14

Inspect the following harnesses.

Between starter relay and Battery

Between starter relay and Starter

Are they normal?

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

Repair or replace as required.

Then go to next step.

15

Inspect the starting system.

Is starting system normal?

Yes

Go to the next step.

No

16

Inspect for seized/hydro locked engine or flywheel.

Is ENGINE seized or hydro locked?

Yes

No

Go to the next step.

17

Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2.

Retrieve any continuous memory DTCs.

Are there any continuous memory DTCs displayed?

Yes

DTC is displayed:
  • Go to appropriate DTC inspection.

Communication error message is displayed:
  • Inspect for the following:

• Open circuit in wiring harness between main relay and PCM terminal 1BO or 1BJ

• Open circuit in wiring harness between main relay terminal E and PCM terminal 1BM

• Main relay is stuck open.

• Open or short circuit in wiring harness between the DLC-2 and PCM terminals 1BL or 1BG

• Open or poor GND circuit (PCM terminal 1D, 1J, 1BP, 1BK)

• Poor connection of vehicle body GND

No

No DTC is displayed:
  • Go to the next step.

18

Retrieve any KOEO DTCs using M-MDS.

Are there DTCs displayed during KOEO inspection?

Yes

DTC is displayed:
  • Go to appropriate DTC inspection.

No

No DTC is displayed:
  • Go to the next step.

19

• Verify test results.

• If normal, return to diagnostic index to service any additional symptoms.

• If malfunction remains, inspect related Service Bulletins and/or On-line Repair Information and perform repair or diagnosis.

• If vehicle is repaired, troubleshooting completed.

• If vehicle is not repaired or additional diagnostic information is not available, replace the PCM.

(

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Under the dash does not read. Car key lock down blinking red.

Expert:  Drew replied 10 months ago.
Not sure I quite understand your last reply.

Did you get your concern resolved??

Do you still need help or have additional questions?

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

obd2 is not reading

Expert:  Drew replied 10 months ago.
If you have no power the data link connector under the dash, then you will need to start by checking all fuses. Make sure battery is fully charged and cables are clean an tight. If all fuses good, then you will need to do some deep electrical diagnosis. You will need to ohm test all wiring to the data link connector. You may need to have towed to a Mazda dealer if not able to perform testing.

Thanks
Drew