Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring: 2011 CX-9 Red key warning flashes

Customer Question

2011 CX-9 Red key warning flashes every 2-3 seconds and warning beep every 30 seconds. ???  Ignition is OFF and all doors closed.

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

This is caused from a low battery in the transmitter or the transmitter is not inside the vehicle.

If the transmitter is in the vehicle and will start the vehicle with no problems, then the red light should go off and no beeps.

Try a spare transmitter.

It is normal for the light to flash when the engine is off. The computer is searching for a signal from the transmitter to start the vehicle.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will get batteries. Thanks. The every 30 second beep from the auto concerns me. The auto starts and runs fine and the light and beep stop after ignition is 'ON'.

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
There is only 1 battery in each transmitter and they are $5.

The beep should go away with a new battery. If not, let me know and we will try something else.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Drew,

No joy. Replaced batteries in both transmitters. They open and close doors and all that good stuff from a respectable distance, but once the key (column knob used to start car) is turned off, the red key light starts to flash and the beep happens every 20-30 seconds. Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Steve

PS - I am concerned about the electrical system in this vehicle. I have issues with the auto light system (had it at the dealer and they replaced the dimmer module without fixing the issue - next step from them is to leave it and they will call support in Japan) and have just recently have had an issue where the wipers won't start when you request the wash liquid. I am beginning to suspect the column electrical harness has issues.......

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hello Steve.

If you close all doors and then lock them, walk away from the vehicle and put the key in the house 50 ft away from the vehicle. The light will flash which is normal but there should not be any beeping sound heard if parked.

If you still hear a beep from the vehicle every 30 sec after this, then try disconnecting the battery, and hold your foot on the brake pedal for 1 min. This will reset the modules. Reconnect the battery and see if the same concern is still present.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Drew,

Disconnected battery (positive side only). Continued to get the beep while disconnected and holding break pedal down for approx. 75 seconds. No joy. Still get the beep and light.

Sorry.

Steve

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
If you still have a beeping noise with the battery disconnected, then there is a aftermarket alarm system installed causing your concern. Look under the dash and remove anything that looks like it has been wired in after and is not factory Mazda.

Thanks
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought the vehicle new from Mazda. Would they (dealer) put something on without letting me know? All the stuff looks dealer original. It is pretty high end (Bose, Nav, etc.). The fobs are from Mazda. I will check, but boy is that gonna tick me off if there is non-factory equipment on this thing......

Expert:  Drew replied 1 year ago.
Some dealers install a aftermarket system so they can disable the vehicle if it was ever stolen off their lot or if they loan was not paid.

If all is good, I suggest bring back to the dealer that sold it to you and have them verify outgoing was added or what is making the beeping noise.

Thanks
Drew