Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
2947720

Mazda Protege: 1995 Mazda Protege with 1.5 liter engine it

Customer Question

1995 Mazda Protege with 1.5 liter engine it was running down the road and quit
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

Before you replace the ECU, the fuel injection is controlled by the ECU by way of distributor. The hall effect inside the distributor sends the pulses to the ECU to open the injctors.
.

I have seen more distributors go bad than ECU's.
.

There is a special tester for it, and it may be easier to install a reman distributor. In any case, I have the test in a PDF file HERE
.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for the help!

I did look at the attachment and will test but I forgot to say that I did hook up with scan tool and it said can't read, also the transmission want come out of park which I was thinking was ecu controlled. Do these change what you think?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
No, it still needs to have a pulse to the injectors. The BTSI could be the brake light switch or the brake trans shift interlock solenoid. Remember to check all the fuses for power at both ends, just to be sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will check and let you know

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Sir,

I was looking closely at your notes this morning for testing the distributor and looks like you need a special tester. Can we cheat and test another way for injector pulse from injector.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Most times we just put a distributor in them and they start, (when the tester is not available). It gets tricky trying to simulate a signal to the ECU but you don't want to hit the wrong wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master certified, 30 years experience. Auto troubleshooting, electrical , ABS, SRS, EFI system
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris, Super mechanic here. I was just wondering how your vehicle is and wanted to see if you may need any more on it.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am waiting for a part but you have been very helpful and will let you know how it goes.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks and best wishes with it...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Sir!

I do hate its been some time but we have been busy and had to wait on order of reman distributor. I know you tried to give good advice but we are still not able to start. We do still have fire on plugs, checked timing belt which is good. Need help on why we don't have injector pulse. All help will be appreciated.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Oh? That does seem like it could be the ECU but normally if they can't diagnose themselves the only way to know is to try a good one. Sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do hate throwing parts at cars but we did put reman ecu in also because it would not read with scan tool and had been soaked with coffee stilt in the past is the way it looked, but we still can't read ecu or fire up engine.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

That is all that I coudl think of on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Still need help

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks