Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist

Mazda 626: how do I change the water pump on a 2000 mazda 626

how do I change the water pump on a 2000 mazda 626 4 cyl?
Hello, I am Randall, There are a few many steps invloved but to put it as simply as i can? you ahve to remove the timing belt, then the pump is easy from there.
the first picture are the stpes you follow , meaning what items in order you have to remove to get to the timing belt.
The second picture shows the timing belt alignment marks
The 3rd picture shows the water pump
Most everything is fairly straight forward except. you have to remove the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft. That not is tight, An airgun can get it loose easily, without? this is going to be a little trouble.
You may havbe to remove the cover at front of trans, near the starter and wedge a long thin bar in the opening against the flywheel teeth to hold engine from turning so you can get the pulley bolt out at front of the engine
Possible you will have to remove the starter to get a bar into the flywheel teeth to hold engine. thsi is all very hard to explain
i wish there was more detailed information to send but there is not.You have to folow the numbers in order to get to the timing belt in firts picture. remove the belt. remove the pump, then put pump on, timing belt on by the marks in second picture, the the rest of the parts

1. Remove in the order indicated in the image above.
  2. Install in the reverse order of removal.

I hope this helps. please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.

When you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, I would appreciate your positive rating. I truly value your feedback.