Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Mazda Master Technician
5624692

Mazda CX 7: My factory installed remote starter wont start

My factory installed remote starter won't start the 08 Mazda CX 7, unless the "key" is inside the car.
Hi Sir or Madam! Let me put the Zoom Zoom back in your Mazda!

I've installed a few of these and the small harness that goes around the ignition key is very sensitive to placement. It may have come loose and is not sending the security signal to the computer. However, when you have the "key" and since you put it in quotes I am assuming it is the smart key.... The key is transmitting the code instead and letting the remote starter work.

Also, I have heard (but not experienced) that some of the harness are having problems and blowing the fuses in the remote start. Below is a link to the install directions that can better help you understand what I am talking about.

Instructions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Info was great but still not working. I checked all connections, Fuse is good. Tried reprogramming...

I do have a smart key.

You removed the column shroud and made sure the antenna wire was still attached?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I didn't, but I assume they are sinse all other functions of the remote work.

That antenna wire on the ignition switch housing serves only one purpose.... It send the appropriate antitheft signal to allow the engine to start. It will not affect any other functions. Also did you check/replace the fuses inside the unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked the fuse... ok . The wires that wrap around the ignition switch are intacted.

What exactly is it doing when you try the remote start?

Does it blink any lights, honk the horn, crank the starter, etc? Check this without the smart key nearby.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lights blink, door locks lock (if unlocked) everything except engine crank.

What is the security light doing when this is happening?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Flashing rapidly

That and the fact that the horn didn't honk is definitely a theft problem. Either there is something wrong with the antenna wire, maybe it is rubbing on the column someplace, or there is something wrong with the remote start module. It is not supposed to forget its learned security features. You said you already tried reprogramming it and that didn't work. You can try moving the antenna wire around on the ignition switch and see what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did try moving the wire around on the ignition switch earlier. I will check the antenna wire tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks

The antenna wire I am referring to is the one from the ignition switch down to the module. I've had a tough time getting that wire just right when installing them initially! It is so touchy it is unbelievable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is the proper installation method?

It's outlined with pictures in the link I sent you above. Sometimes you have to make a double loop over the key switch area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it tomorrow

Ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ed

I checked the antenna wires going to the ignition switch look good, moved them around no signs of rubbing.

The horn does beep once lights flash locks activate when the remote start is activated doesn't turn over unless smart key is inside the car.

At this point, either the module is not sending the antitheft signal or the antenna wire is not transmitting it to the receiver on the ignition switch.

Did you check all the fuses inside the remote start box?

Did you try unplugging all the connectors from the box and reconnecting?

What happened when you tried to reprogram the keys?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had a new remote, It programmed fine. I will try unpluging the connections and plug them in again. Will let you know.

If someone tried reprogramming and didn't know it had remote start it could have erased the remote start security. You need to reprogram using all available keys and the remote start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If someone reprogrammed what?

I only have 1 smart key. So that poses some problems acording to the dealer when I wanted them to fix it.

When you said you reprogrammed remotes I was thinking you were talking about the Smart Keys. I know you have to have both keys present when initially programming. This is to program without using the scan tool and so that the second key does not get erased.

Although I've never tried this, the dealer should be able to program the remote start as the second key using the scan tool. They would basically erase all key programming and then reprogram the "key" you have and the remote start as the second key. Have they tried doing that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I only have one smart key. I have 2 remotes for the remote starter, that is what I programed not the smart key.

I'm thinking the modual may be bad. Not sending the signal to the computer.

Thanks

Jeff

Well, the remote starter acts as another key. It is possible the "key" and remote starter just need to be relearned for some reason. If that still doesn't work then the problem is in the antenna wire going to the ignition switch or the remote start module itself.