internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years of automotive experience and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

Mazda 3: how difficult is replacing a tcm on a 2006 mazda 3?

Customer Question

how difficult is replacing a tcm on a 2006 mazda 3? is it something that requires specialized knowledge/training?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

internal88 :

Hello and welcome to justanswer. I will try my best to help you.

internal88 :

The TCM (Transmission control module) replacement is straight forward procedure. No special training is required.

internal88 :

I'm going to post the instruction for you.

internal88 :

Just click on the link above and you will see it.

internal88 :

No programming is required. The shift pattern relearn will automatically take place after a few miles and normal shifting will resume. During the relearn process you may feel harsh shift but it will OK after a few miles of test drive.

internal88 :

Please let me know if this helped you out.

Customer:

Where can the part be obtained?

internal88 :

Can you please give me the vin number of your car. I will go to work tomorrow and find you the correct part number. I will also suggest you a place to purchase it from.

internal88 :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get back to you tomorrow afternoon.

Customer:

JM1BK343761414405

internal88 : Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get you the information before the afternoon.
internal88 :

Hello, I have verified the VIN to the Mazda catalog. The current TCM part number is XXXXX

The cost from parts.com is $453.92 (NEW).

Let me know if this is helpful, thanks.

Customer:

Thanks for the info! We may also take a look at used parts. Would the model number be the same?

internal88 :

In the salvage yard you may find part number labeled L32E189E1B. This is the old Mazda number. On 11/19/2012, Mazda have issued a new number L32E189E1D. They may have changed the logic in there but I’m not sure about the details.

It won’t hurt the engine or transmission to use the old number. Therefore you can try it.

internal88, Technician
Experience: Over 10 years of automotive experience and diagnostic is my specialty.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jerri, How did it go?
The previous rating did not go through. Can you please rate me again, thank you.
Brandon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay... I don't see how to rate you again..

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The rating finally went through. Thank you very much and have a good day.