Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda Tribute: what causes the steering lock housing to fail

what causes the steering lock housing to fail or wear on my 2008 tribute
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall

Can you please send more details?

I am not sure I fully understand the question and what problem you are having, what the symptoms are, what you have tried.etc..

Let me know

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know for sure that my steering lock housing was worn but was causes this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer. simple question I asked what makes the steering lock housing wear or become worn on my 2008 mazda tribute
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
sorry for the delay

I have to log off now..

I had responded as quick as I could to your intial question

the information you have supplied is too vague for me to assist

I will opt out and let another expert assist you

One should be along shortly

Please do not respond to me as post will remain locked to me

Sorry could not help

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what causes steering lock housing to be worn the technicians I have spoke to at mazda have not seen this problem before this is on a 2008 mazda tribute only mazda technicians please answer

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Hello. New expert here.

Then steering wheel lock housing is made out of aluminum and I have never seen one wear out unless some one has forced the steering wheel, when locked and broke to housing or stop pin inside the steering column. Not a common failure. You would have to wiggle, shake and force the steering wheel to cause damage to the stop pin. Normal use will not cause wear or damage.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
then is it possible that his happened as a result of my car accident? I was rear ended as I was turning into a gas station (it was like a bumper car direct hit) no brakes applied by the driver no skid marks both of my hands on the steering wheel.Other techs at two different dealerships felt that it could have and one even said that possibly my knee hit the key causing a problem with the key lock cylinder shoving it into the steering lock housing. What do you think. They also have never had to deal with one either. I also wondered if it could be a defective part but Mazda says no.
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.
Only possibility of steering lock damage is if the key is in the off position. Very possible that your knee bumped the key when rear ended. If the concern started right after the accident, then I would have to say that the accident caused it. If you had to have the vehicle towed, the tow truck operator may have caused the damage but not likely unless they didn't have the key.

I have also repaired a lot of accident vehicles and never had a steering lock fail. If the ignition key still operates normally but you steering lock is faulty, then the key or lock cylinder is no the problem.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well did not notice directly after accident which happened in may but little by little the vehicle would require me to come up with new ways to position the key in the cylinder lock to get the vehicle to start In fact I would have to be the one to start the vehicle when I took it to Tire Kingdom, the car wash place, and to Brake world the mechanics could not start it they all thought I had something special attached to make it start. Ha! finally the end of June it no longer started i took it to Mazda dealership they replaced key lock cylinder and no go so had to wait three more days until finally got the steering lock housing before I could have my vehicle back to normal start
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.
It may have just been a coincidence that this just happened after the accident. Does not seem possible that the accident caused it. I could see that if the vehicle had front end damage with the ignition off that could cause some damage to the steering lock, but not rear end.

Normally if there is a problem with the key turning in the ignition, it is always caused by a faulty ignition lock cylinder and NOT to steering lock. The steering lock is just a piece of metal that locks the steering shaft when the ignition key is off/out (mechanically). Since this vehicle uses a electric power steering motor inside the column, anything is possible. Normally if there is pressure on the ignition lock, you will not be able to turn the key on unless you release the pressure from the steering wheel by turning it slightly while turning the key.

I guess there is a first time for everything and nothing ever surprises me.

Thanks
Drew

I did find this TSB for steering lock failure but does not sound like related to your concern.

Steering - Key Chime ON/Column Not Locking, Key Out

Bulletin No: 06-001/09

Last Issued: 2/3/2009

Subject:
KEY-IN-IGNITION WARNING CHIME AND/OR STEERING WHEEL NOT LOCKING - WITH IGNITION KEY REMOVED APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2008 Tribute and Tribute Hybrid

DESCRIPTION

Some 2008 Tribute and Tribute Hybrid vehicles may exhibit an ignition key chime that continues to chime with the door open and key out of the ignition and/or steering wheel that will not lock.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.

2. Replace the steering column lock module with an updated part. Refer to Workshop Manual section 06-12 - STEERING COLUMN LOCK MODULE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.

3. Verify repair.

graphic

Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.