mechanicaltone, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hi I have been a mechanic for over 12 years and enjoy helping people solving their car problems.

1992 Mazda Miata: gear, the rpms will drop..stall..a/c kicks..traffic

1992 Mazda Miata - Sometimes when coming to a stop while not in gear, the rpm's will drop too low too fast and it will stall, and sometimes the idle will rise to 1500 instead of staying around 900, usually when the a/c kicks off.

Probably unrelated, but the a/c system doesn't blow cold when sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic after several minutes. (secondary fan?)
Category: Mazda
Expert:  mechanicaltone replied 4 years ago.
hi sounds like you have a sticky idle control solenoid. you can try and give the Idle solenoid and the throttle body a clean and see if it fixes the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there other likely possibilities? My son wants to purchase this vehicle, and this is the major issue we have found. Is it likely something minor like this, or could it be something MUCH more expensive? I will take it in and see if there are any error codes that appear. Are there any that I might expect that would be related to this problem?
there are a few more possibility's like a vacuum leak from the inlet manifold or a sensor is faulty but you will have to carry out a few tests to try and find the fault.