Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

2006 mazda: problem) and the key fob battery to die

I have a 2006 Mazda6. Recently I was unable to drive it for about a year. This caused the battery to die (which has never caused this problem) and the key fob battery to die. After I got it replaced, the alarm would go off no matter what I did. I tried locking the car up and then unlocking it manually but that didn't shut it off. We're unable to hook up the battery, so I can't even drive it to a mazda dealership (I live in Pullman, the closest is in Spokane and an 1.5hr drive.. expensive tow). I was just wondering what advice anyone had. Where is the fuse located? Could I reprogram by myself without the expensive tow?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Lets start by looking under the dash on the drivers side for any sign of a aftermarket alarm or remotest start system that was installed. If found remove it!!

If the battery in the key fob is new, it will not need programming. It should lock/unlock the doors. If the key fob does not work, let me know and I will get you the programming procedure.

Make sure all doors and hood are closed. Unlock the drivers door using the key and then try to start the vehicle.

If still no luck, disconnect the battery. put the key in the ignition and turn to the on position. Reconnect the battery and then see if the vehicle will start.

If no try using a spare key.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.