George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+Years
13574682

1987 Mazda: camper vaninnorway..2.0 Litercarburetedengine(FE?

Buying a 1987 Mazda E 2000 - camper van in Norway.  5 speed with the 2.0 Liter carbureted engine (FE??). It has 98 K miles. My main concern is that we will have to pick it up and drive 600 miles over the weekend to get home. I expect no problems.

BUT is that a interference OR non-interference engine?

Just in case the timing belt should happen to break. I do not mind getting stuck, but it would be terrible to wreck an engine. I have researched on-line and can not seem to get a clear answer. Thanks - Lynn David

Category: Mazda
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This is NOT an interference engine so if the belt lets go you should not suffer catastrophic damage.

Good luck with the retreival and please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANKS!
Any ideas on getting good economy (and reliability) on this engine?

One poster on-line had used a 2 barrel weber carb and adaptor,
that was supposedly a direct replacement for the original carb.
Also headers which may be difficult with the tight space of a van.
He reported about 3 MPG increase and better power.

I know sometime it is overall best to keep it stock and in good tune.
And a light foot on the gas pedal.
I will not continue further with questions,
(and is this part of the original question or would it entail additional an charge?

Thanks for your expertise - Lin David
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
I would start with the good tune and a light foot then see if it is acceptable to you. Any alterations will have to be weighed against savings so things like a different carb and headers will cost enough that the savings will just not be there.

Any weight you carry will affect the mileage so pack light, the tire inflation is critical and as you post a light foot will all go a long way to getting the best mileage.

The pickup version is about 20 MPG here so you should be able to see 17 - 19 with the extra weight of the camper and the frontal area of the van.

Sorry but when you are working with old technology you are limited when it comes to increasing the mileage over stock.

Please let me know what questions you have so I can help

Thank you
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 15+Years