Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

How do you get to and change the thermostat on a 2004 Mazda 6?

Customer Question

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Do you have a 4 cyl or V6 engine?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2.3L 4 cyl
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2.3L 4 cylinder
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the accept.

Here is what I do. Remove the best and unbolt the PS pump. Place a jack and block if wood under the oil pan. Remove the engine mount bolts from the right front fender. Jack the engine up slightly to access the thermostat. Remove the two hoses from the thermostat housing. Using a 8mm socket and extension, remove the 3 thermostat bolts. Remove the housing and reinstall the new thermostat/housing assembly. Mazda has a updated thermostat for this vehicle the I suggest using. Don't try using aftermarket crap.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

• Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Drain the engine coolant.
  • Remove the drive belt.
  • Remove the P/S oil pump with hoses and pipe still connected. Position the P/S oil pump out of the way.
  • Remove in the order indicated in the table.
  • Install in the reverse order of removal.
  • Add the engine coolant.
  • Inspect the engine coolant leakage

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    2.3L 4 cylinder the motor mount has two bolts attaching to the frame, one bolt attaching in the center of a remove the two, or will i get into trouble with one (located one top/center)?
    Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

As long as you have a jack supporting the engine weight, it will not matter which bolts you remove. You are going to be jacking the engine up so the mount does not need to be removed, just unbolted from the body.