Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

97 Mazda mpv: abs..17 pin diagnostic connector by the fuse box

97 Mazda Mpv ABS fault. What pin am I looking for in the 17 pin diagnostic connector by the fuse box?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Here is your information.

Thanks
Drew

ABS HYDRAULIC UNIT AND CONTROL MODULE INSPECTION

NOTE:

• If a past diagnostic trouble code(s) is memorized, the system inspection mode will not work.
  • Make sure that there is no code(s) in the ABS memory before doing this inspection
  1. Verify that the battery is fully charged. With the ignition switch at ON, verify that the ABS warning light goes out after 2-4 seconds.
  2. If the light stays ON after 2 seconds the ABS control module detects a failure and will not activate the ABS hydraulic unit. Follow the troubleshooting procedures.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  4. On level ground, jack up the vehicle and support it evenly on safety stands. Shift the transmission to N position.
  5. Release the parking brake.
  6. Rotate the wheels by hand, and inspect for brake drag.
  7. Using a jumper wire, connect the TBS and GND terminals of the data link connector.
  8. Depress the brake pedal, and have an assistant verify that the right front wheel will not turn.
  9. With the brake pedal still depressed, turn the ignition switch to ON and verify that the brake is released momentarily (approx. 0.5 sec.) and that the wheel turns when pressure-reduction operates.
  10. Check the operation of the remaining wheels in order: left front, rear.

1. If steps 9 and 10 show correct operation, the following systems are OK:
    • Brake piping to ABS hydraulic unit.
    • Braking system, including ABS hydraulic unit.
    • Electrical system in ABS hydraulic unit (solenoid, ABS motor, etc.).
    • ABS control module, its output system (solenoid, relay, etc.) and harness. The following are not checked with the above steps:
    • Input system and harness of ABS hydraulic unit and control module.
    • Intermittent failure.
    • Fluid leakage.
  1. Replace the ABS hydraulic unit and control module if necessary.
  2. Replace the jumper wire.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Code was 11 Rt front wheel speed sensor. How do I clear the code? hitting the brake pedal 10 times doesn't seem to work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Great first response,just need follow-up!
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

Did you replace the wheel sensor , if the sensor was not diagnosed and replaced if found faulty, then trying to clear the fault will not work as the problem has to be repaired or replaced for the code to clear.

Kind regards Greg.
PS When drew is back on line he will assist you .

Kind regards Greg
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Was a busy day.

Here is the diagnosis test for your code #11 and the fault code clearing procedure you requested.

Please be patient for my response if you have additional questions and I will be glad to help you.

Thanks
Drew Cool

graphic

graphic

NOTE:

• The ABS control module has a nonvolatile memory.
  • Diagnostic codes are not erased if the battery is disconnected. The memory should be cleared when servicing is finished.

CANCELING CODES
Diagnostic trouble codes memorized in the ABS control module are canceled by performing the following steps.

1. Connect the TBS terminal to GND and the data link connector.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
  3. Output all memorized codes.
  4. After verifying that the first code is repeated, depress the brake pedal 10 times at intervals of less than one second (1 sec.)
    1. Diagnostic troubles codes cannot be canceled if the following occur:
    • If intervals of depressing the brake pedal exceed one second (1 sec.)
    • The brake switch has failed.
    1. While performing memory cancel operation, the ABS warning light indicates DTCs, and when the memory cancel is completed, it goes off.
  1. Turn off the ignition switch to reset the ABS control module.
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.