Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda RX-8: how do i reset the antitheft immobilizer on my

how do i reset the antitheft immobilizer on my mazda rx8
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

The alarm and locks are a separate alarm system and not part of the PATS immobilizer system.

Look under the dash to verify that there is no aftermarket remote start/alarm system installed. Remove it!!

I suggest trying to use a spare key to start the vehicle. If the theft light is om or flashing steady, continue to try this battery procedure. Turn the key on. Disconnect the battery. Hold your foot on the brake pedal for 1 min. With the key still on, reconnect the battery and start the vehicle.

If still no luck, get a code reader and see if there are any fault codes stored in the computer that relates to the PATS system.

If your vehicle cranks but sounds like it has no compression and the theft light is off, then you may have a flooded engine.

If still no luck, you will need to have it towed to a Mazda dealer and cut a new key and program to the vehicle.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.