Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master technician
3827149

Mazda: main dealer..cars oil..castrol edge c1 5w-30..synthetic oil

Customer Question

I took my RX8 to a Mazda main dealer for a service. On returning home I noticed on the invoice that the cars oil had been replaced with Castrol Edge C1 5W-30. To my knowledge, this is a fully synthetic oil and therefore not compatible with the RX8's engine. I have had a discussion with the service manager who tells me that Castrol had confirmed to him it was.
I'm still not convinced or happy that the Mazda Dexelia oil wasn't used. Can you clear this issue up for me please?

Gary
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 4 years ago.
Never use synthetic oil for an RX-8. The synthetic oil will produce a film on the inside of the engine because it does not burn with the gas. It will also void the warranty if you have problems and they find out about the synthetic oil use.
It requires 5w-20 NON SYNETHIC because the oil is injeted and cooled through a OIL/AIR COOLER. SYNETHIC OIL WILL NOT BURN, not allowing the engine seals to be lubed, thus your RX-8 will become an oil leaking RX-7.Please DO NOT use synethic oil.Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your information. The dealer in question is changing my oil and filter tomorrow thanks to your response.
Anytime glad to help.