Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

timing belt broke on 2001 mazda millenia. I replaced timing

timing belt broke on 2001 mazda millenia. I replaced timing belt, cover, idler and head gasket. It hasn't been right since! replaced all spark plugs, all wires, distributer cap. replaced EGR valve came up with code saying shift solenoids were bad. tranny friend look at it and said no way. now it bogs down in the middle of driving..rpm's drop real fast then pop back up. half the time no engine light comes. some time the engine light and the hold light comes on. i was told the engine is actually cutting off and cutting right back on....hence the consistantly changing codes that pop up. no one can figure it out. had 7 shops look at it and they are all!!!
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I suspect that you have a fault in the wiring or a faulty TPS or MAF sensor.

Is suggest double checking all electrical connections, battery connections and ground

connections. Clean and reconnect.

Disconnect all connectors and reconnect.

Inspect the crankshaft positions sensor for damage.

Since 7 other shops looked at it, this is not a common concern.

Inspect the MAF and TPS for any faults.

You may also have a faulty computer that intermittently acts up when hot/cold. Try using a blow dryer to heat the computer and make concern present.

Try flexing and wiggling all wiring harness and connectors to verify concern and duplicate.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

I will be stepping out soon and be back in a couple hours.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 shop did replace the sensor and it actually would die as soon as u put it in drive. put 2 on they had to put original back last question, is it possible that the timing is off?

Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

It is possible that the timing belt may be off a tooth or two. If the timing belt is off, normally the vehicle will not run correctly all the time. It is always a good idea to triple check all timing marks after a timing belt repair.

Out of seven shops, I would think that someone would have checked the timing.

Since your concern is intermittent and acts up with different results, I suspect one of the other items I listed.