mazdamaster577
mazdamaster577, Master Technician
Experience:  mazda master/shop foreman for 15 years.

my mazda 6 wont start everything lights up but it appears

my mazda 6 won't start everything lights up but it appears to possibly be a security shut off of some sort , you put the key in and does not engage the starter
Category: Mazda
Expert:  mazdamaster577 replied 2 years ago.

mazdamaster577 :

does the red light on the dash flash while trying to start?

Customer:

which red light

mazdamaster577 :

the security light. looks like a car with a key in the middle of it.

Customer:

on the first click but not when the starting turn

mazdamaster577 :

if it flash fast with the key in the on possition, the problem is with the security system. what year is your car?>

Customer:

2006 mazda 6

mazdamaster577 :

have you tried putting the shifter in neutral?

mazdamaster577 :

insted of oark.

mazdamaster577 :

park

Customer:

yes but nothing

mazdamaster577 :

do you have a second key you can try?

Customer:

we did but nothing

Customer:

if we go from fuse box to starter we can jump start it

mazdamaster577 :

I have seen a few issues like this, a short in the fuse box near the battery or water leaking into the body control module can cause this problem. double check the main fuse in the fuse box near the battery.

mazdamaster577 :

will it run if you jump it?

mazdamaster577 :

or just spin over?

Customer:

yes, cked all fuses non burnt

Customer:

wheres the body control module , we were going to change the temp control senser , as there appears to be a leak

mazdamaster577 :

the body control mod is beside the fuse box in the drivers kick pannel. common for water to leak from the hood release cable into the module and cause alot of electrical problems.

Customer:

it was working fine , he took the air vent box to look at the engine better , and then it didn't start back , is l3r1 and l3r3 the control module

Customer:

i really thank you for your help

mazdamaster577 :

connector 0940-01

Customer:

what?

mazdamaster577 :

I'm leaning toward the battery junction box, fuse box under the hood. seen too many short out and cause a no start condition. can you have someone try to start the car while you try to flex the fuse box next to the battery?

Customer:

so bascially when i turn the key nothing happens , on the first clk you see all the idiot lights

mazdamaster577 :

but no light flashing fast right?

Customer:

on the first click and when you put key into ignition

mazdamaster577 :

does it click then loose all power?

Customer:

all lights stay on that should stay on the last click

mazdamaster577 :

ok, if you jump the starter will the car run or just spin over?

Customer:

if the battery function box is messed up is this a major part

mazdamaster577 :

yes, part of the wire hanace.

Customer:

it doesnt click , it just turns and then nothing

Customer:

are you still there

mazdamaster577 :

you said if you go from the fuse box to the starter, the starter will engage, will it stay running?

Customer:

yes

mazdamaster577 :

ok, try flexing the fuse box. this sounds just like the others I've seen.

mazdamaster577 :

there is a seem seperating the fuse box, this is where the short happens.

Customer:

nothing

Customer:

and if we try flexing harder and it starts then what

mazdamaster577 :

the fuse box will need replacing.

Customer:

the entire fuse box

Customer:

is it burnt out, what about the security system

mazdamaster577 :

yes, remove the cover and look for the seem. try pushing down on the front of the box.

mazdamaster577 :

if the security system was the problem, the car would not stay running when you jump the starter.

Customer:

is there any codes if i try to read the system that it would give me

mazdamaster577 :

not if it is the fuse box or a bad wire. it will if a control module is bad.

Customer:

i thank you , if i do flex it and it starts , what does that mean , it won't restart normal correct

mazdamaster577 :

yes, if it starts while flexing the box, it will need to be replaced. once you release pressure, it probably wont start.

Customer:

thanks good nite

mazdamaster577 :

anytime

mazdamaster577, Master Technician
Experience: mazda master/shop foreman for 15 years.