Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mazda Miata: repair kit..donut tire and rim whiah will fit my car

I am confused....I have an 09 Mazda Miata with 17" tires. No donut, but a repair kit. I understand Mazda no longer makes a donut for the Miata and so I am looking for a donut tire and rim whiah will fit my car. I have neen on all the forums and gather that a Mazxa 6 dount rim has the same bolt pattern as the Miata.
Question 1: Can I use a Mazda 6 donut rim and tire on my Miata?
Question 2: Does the rim have to be the same year or simply the same size, i.e., a 17" rim?
Question 3: I have been told that a rim which fits, should only be used on the front, due to a variety of issues such as ABS system. Another comment says the calipers in the front are larger in the front and therefore should be only used in the back as the rim will hit the calipers?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Both vehicles use the exact same rim bolt measurement so yes the spare tire will work as a emergency dough nut, see below.

graphicgraphic

As for all the other questions about the ABS light or it hitting, It should not hit but in the event it does then you will just need to put the spare on the other axle and the good tire removed from that axle in place of the bad tire. If the ABS light comes on which it most likely will, this can be reset with a repair of the tire or by using a scan tool to erase the code.