john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech,shop owner

Mazda 6: 2006 Mazda 6 check engine light on, code p2187 system

2006 Mazda 6 check engine light on, code p2187 system too lean @idle bank, often when engine has been running for awhile and I stop to get gas it won't start unless I floor the gas pedal , it starts but runs poorly I presume because it is flooded, my mechanic states all functions are at factory requirements, any suggestions?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 4 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
The P2187 is a "known problem" and Mazda has issued a Technical Service Bulletin that states the most common cause if this is going to be caused by a delayed fuel pressure build-up from the high pressure fuel pump. There are two main reasons for this:
1. The drive current from the PCM is not enough for some fuel pumps.
2. Some fuel pumps have slower response.

To fix the problem, the PCM software and the specification of the high-pressure fuel pump have been changed.To re-program the PCM's software will require the use of a Mazda scan-tool, and usually is a Dealer fix only. There is a warranty available for this repair, however, you'll need to contact the Dealer to see if you are covered.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto