Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

2007 mazda 3: Gas pump clicks off after about $.10...leak

having a very hard time putting fuel into 2007 mazda 3 - 2.3L. Gas pump clicks off after about $.10. Took it to Mazda dealer and they informed me that it was the leak etection pump. Told me that the filler neck and hoses all seemed fine, that the purge valve was fine and the charcoal canister was fine. It should be noted that the Mazda tech also could not get fuel into the tank
I bought the part from them and had a friend of mine - a certified mechanic for last 12 yrs install the new leak detection pump and then I went to add fuel. Same thing happened, still having a major hard time getting fuel in. Help please
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I suspect that you have a faulty fuel filler neck non-return fuel valve.

This is a little plastic one-way flapper valve in the fuel filler neck. Over time the plastic gets distorted and sticks in the closed position preventing gas from going into the gas tank.

Here is a diagram.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

1. Remove the fuel-filler pipe.

1. Move the valve and verify that the valve opens to 90 ° .
    • If it does not open, replace the fuel-filler pipe.
  1. Verify that the nonreturn valve returns to the normal position by spring force.
    • If it does not return, replace the fuel-filler pipe.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

According to Mazda tech, all looked good with the fuel filler neck, however it is possible that it could have been missed. I should mention that my digital read out of how much fuel I have remaining creeps up very slowly after I attempt to put fuel into the tank - this usually takes me about 5 Min to get roughly 2 gallons in the tank. The read out will go up by single KM incriments, which says to me that some gas is getting in, be it very slowly.

Also more than once gas and air have gurggled out of the tank together while I have been attempting to put gas in.

Does this extra info lead you in another direction? Or do you still suspect the non return valve?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

I still suspect a non-return valve as I stated before. If the valve is stuck closed, a small amount of gas will still enter the tank. It just takes a long time to fill that way.

The only way to check the valve is to remove the fuel filler tube and physically look and touch it.