Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

my wife has a 07 cx7, and the car is surging pretty bad from

Customer Question

my wife has a 07 cx7, and the car is surging pretty bad from an idle to road speeds. i was thinking it was a fuel problem, but cant find anything about a fuel filter. i am in the process of changing the air filter and plugs, but dont know for sure if it is fuel or electrical. the car runs okay going down the hiway, just on acceleration is when it dont run right.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  mazdamaster577 replied 2 years ago.

mazdamaster577 :

what is the millage on it? sounds like a vacuum leak, if so, it will set a check engine light soon. the fuel filter is insde the gas tank.

Customer :

it has been doing this for about 2 months. no check engine light yet. the mileage is 49000.

mazdamaster577 :

does it make a loud chatterin noise when started cold?

Customer :

no, and when it first started it was bad until it warmed up, but now does it warm or not

mazdamaster577 :

the powertrain warranty is 5 years, 60k miles, so it should be a free repair @ a Mazda dealer if you bought it before Jan. 2007.

mazdamaster577 :

after...

Customer :

bought the car in may of 2007

mazdamaster577 :

sounds like a possible turbo problem.

mazdamaster577 :

have you had anyone take a look at it?

Customer :

am i going to have to go to a dealer to find out? the closest dealer is 130 miles away

mazdamaster577 :

we are the only ones that that have the proper tools to diadnoise some issues. it might be a long drive, but should be a free fix.

mazdamaster577 :

diagnois

Customer :

really like the car, but i hate the inconvenience of having to make that drive for problems or services. but i guess thats the price you pay to live in an issolated small community.

mazdamaster577 :

the CX7 are good vehicles but require a little tlc. they use oil because of the turbo. Mazda recomends 5k oil changes, but i recomend every 3k. they can sludge up very quick due to the heat from the turbo and cause alot of problems. if you can make to a dealer, have them check the #3 engine mount. they are common to break and this would be a free repair also.

Customer :

so it would probably be a waste of my time to do what i was going to do on my own then. is there something i can put in the oil to clean sludge or reduce it?

mazdamaster577 :

they are not due for plugs till 90k i think. you can take the oil cap off and look in the valve cover to check for sludge. if you see any, check the oil level. if the oil has not been changed recently, it might be a quart low. if so, put 1 quart of trans fluid into the oil, drive it for 1 day then get the oil changed. this should clean any sludge out.

Customer :

should i do the tranny fluid thing every oil change or not?

just once or twice. but change the oil every 3k miles.

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Drew and I will be glad to assist you.

Here is some additional assistance form another EXPERT.

I have seen dozens of these come in for this concern and there is a TSB to replace the front air fuel ratio sensor (02 sensor) to repair the concern.

Here is the information.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

Thanks
Drew

TSB: 01-038/10

MULTI-MODEL - VEHICLE HESITATION OR SURGING / O2 SENSOR SIGNAL
FAILURE

BULLETIN NOTE

• This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletins 01-016/08 issued 03/17/08,
    01-031/09 issued on 07/10/09 and 01-038/10 issued on 06/18/10. The APPLICABLE
    MODEL(S)/VINS, REPAIR PROCEDURE, PART(S) INFORMATION and WARRANTY INFORMATION
    have been revised.

• Changes are noted below in Red.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007-2009 CX-7

2007-2009 Mazdaspeed3

2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may experience hesitation or surging when accelerating after
engine warm-up. These symptoms may be noticed by the customer before a MIL
illumination with DTC P0134, P2096, P2097, P2177, P2187, P2188, P2195, or P2237
is stored in memory. This may be caused by a front O2 sensor signal failure due
to a crack on the primary or secondary O2 sensor cells.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the
following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.
2. Disconnect front O2 sensor connector.
3. Test drive vehicle to verify symptom disappears.
4. If symptom disappears, replace front O2 sensor with a modified
part according to Workshop Manual (section 01-40 HEATED
OXYGEN SENSOR (HO2) REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [L3 WITH TC]
).

NOTE: To avoid O2 sensor damage, refer to
Service Bulletin 01-032/10 "Oxygen / Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Removal Caution"
before removing O2 sensor.

5. Verify repair.

PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number

Description

Qty.

Applicable Model

L33L-18-8G1E-9U

Front O2 Sensor

1

CX-7

L33X-18-8G1C

Front O2 Sensor

1

Mazdaspeed3

L3M6-18-8G1F

Front O2 Sensor

1

Mazdaspeed6