Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

2004 Mazda 6: drivers side door..inside panel..manually pulling

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mazda 6 and the drivers side door will not unlock. I pulled the inside panel off and was able to get the door unlocked by manually pulling the cable. I locked and unlocked it a few times and it worked fine. I closed the door and locked it with the remote and it has never opened again. I can here it make a sound when I press the button, but it does not open. I took the panel off and played with the cables again but it won't unlock again. What now?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I suspect that you have a faulty power door latch. You will have to replace the entire door latch assembly. To get the door to open, you will have to use a hammer and long pry bar to brake apart the door latch and eventually the door will open so you can replace the latch.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

Thanks

Drew

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Drew but where is the door latch I am breaking apart? Are you talking about the door handle itself? What is the door latch part # XXXXX need to order because I'm breaking the old one? Do you have a diagram on the area inside the door? I have the inside panel off even though the door is still stuck closed.
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

The door latch is located inside the door and it is what the inside/outside door handle cables/rods attach to. It is located at the rear/back of the door about half way up. If you open the passenger door and look at the back side of the door, you will see 3 bolts/screws that attach to latch to the door. This will give you a idea as to where the latch is located. There should also be a electrical connector connected to the door latch. Not part of the door handle.

Thanks
Drew

graphic

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Front Door Latch
Lock
Without Alarm
RightGK2A58310H$165.40
LeftGK2C59310H$188.02
With Alarm
RightGK2C58310H$188.02
LeftGK2C59310H$188.02

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Drew, understand what you are saying, but we were on a different website and they mentioned the acuator. Is this the same part? They were saying that they were able to fix it by fixing the spring without replacing the part. Is there any other way to open the door without breaking the part? 188.00 is a bit pricey...
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

You can try using a long screwdriver or hook tool to wiggle and pull on the unlatch/unlock cable/rod at the door latch to get the door to pop open. You can also try tapping on the side of the door latch while trying to open the door with either handle.

If you can get the open without braking the latch, you may be able to disassemble the door latch and inspect to see if the spring broke. You can then try to replace the spring.

There are no parts sold separately for the door latch. The new latch comes complete. You will have to find a aftermarket spring to install or figure out how to reuse the old spring.

The actuator is part of the door lath assembly.

I would hate for the spring to break again on you and have to go through this all over again, but your choice.

Thanks
Drew

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Drew, I can actually get my hand inside the inner door skin and I can pull on the door handle cable/rod that goes into the door latch. It moves the door handle and I can hear unlocking etc..still does not open. It feels like the door latch assembly is encased by something and I can't actually get to the door latch. Does that sound correct? So if I were to tap or bang on that to try to loosen it is that where you were talking about?
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Yes that is what I was talking about. The door latch has a black plastic lock actuator on the outside of it. That is what you will have to tap on or brake apart to get your door open.

Thanks

Drew

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Drew,

I was able to get the door open without breaking the assembly piece. My question now is, will I be able to shut and open the door as long as I don't lock it? Just until I have the new piece to replace..

Thanks

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.
If the spring is broken inside the latch, It may lock by itself again when you shut the door. I wouldn't try it. Just leave it open until you get a new latch. You can also remove the latch from the door and then use a rope or strap to hold the door shut if you need to drive the car.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Drew,

I'm working on removing the door latch assembly part, but need to know how to remove the rods and cables, is this a simple process??

Thanks!

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

The rods and cables will come with the new door latch. Just remove the rods and cables from the door handles. For the outside door handle. pivot the plastic retainer sideways and rod will pop out. For inside door handle, release the cable from the bracket and twist the end of the cable a 1/4 turn to remove from the inside handle.

Thanks
Drew

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Drew, This is still a work in progress for me. I finally had the time to get the door apart and take the door latch out. I have read elsewhere that I can fix the broken spring and it will work fine. Question is? Where is the spring located inside the latch?
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

I work at a Mazda dealer and we do not service the door latch. We replace them latch assembly. Mazda does not sell any parts to repair the latch, so I have never taken the latch apart to try and repair the broken spring. You will have to disassemble the latch repair as needed.

Please remember to hit the ACCEPT button so I can receive credit for my time spent with you.

You can always reply here, after you accept my answer and I will continue to assist.

Thanks in advance.

Drew

Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Drew,

I was able to take apart the latch assembly, fix the spring and reinstall it. Works great!

However, in the removal process another problem has come up that I need help with. Will this still be considered part of your original advice fee or will I need to pay again??

Thanks for your help!

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Great job.

Thanks for the accept.

Go ahead and ask your question here with a reply. It will be up to you, if you decide that I deserve another accept but not required. Every time you hit the accept button you will be charged again and I will receive credit.

Thanks

Drew

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks! Not bad for a girl if I do say so myself!! I think I'm almost ready to become a Super Mazda tech! Smile

When I was removing the latch assembly and trying to remove the rods, something snapped off of the door handle part. But even after hooking the rod back up to the handle with the piece that was there, from the outside the handle is not working. Its like it's not attached to anything. Make sense? But with the latch repaired, I can get out of the car using the inside handle with no problem.

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.
You will have to remove the door panel and make sure the outside door handle rod is attached to the door handle and the door latch. Operate the outside door handle and watch to make sure the rod between the handle and latch is moving properly. You should be able to remove the rod from the outside door handle and from inside the door, push down on the rod to operate the latch. If the latch will still not open the door but you know the rod is connected correctly, then the problem is inside the latch.

Thanks
Drew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Drew,

The rod is attached to the latch. It's the piece that the rod attaches to at the door handle that is the issue. That piece is no longer attached to anything. My door handle actually came off yesterday when I closed my door. So I'm thinking I need to replace that part or the whole door handle?? Not sure if there are replacement parts for the handle, if so I need that info.

Thanks!

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

If your door handle actually came off, make sure the bolts from inside the door are installed. If the door handle bolts are still installed, I suspect that the door handle broke. You will have to replace the door handle assembly.

On the end of the door handle should be a locking tab that secures the latch rod to the door handle. Make sure that locking tab is installed correctly and securing the rod.

Thanks

Drew

FRONT OUTER HANDLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION

1. Remove the front door glass.
  2. Detach the outer handle and front door latch rod.
  3. For protector-equipped vehicles, refer to key cylinder removal/installation to remove the protector.

1. Remove the bolts.
  2. With the rear side of the outer handle fixed and the outer handle lever pulled out (I), remove the rear side of the outer handle from the front door.

1. Pull out the front side of the outer handle from front door.
  2. Remove the request switch harness from the door. (with advanced keyless system)
  3. Install in the reverse order of removal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Drew, I won't be able to get to this until this weekend, but do I have to replace the entire door handle including the lock portion or are you instructions just for the door handle itself? and do you have a part number?

Thanks again.

Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

You will only have to replace the door handle. The lock cylinder comes out from the back side and will need to be transfered to the new door handle.

The door handle should be painted to match your vehicle. I do not know the part number since I do not know what color your vehicle is. You can call your local Mazda dealer to order the door handle and it will come painted to match your vehicle. The will need your VIN# XXXXX get the correct handle ordered.

Thanks
Drew

Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help Drew, I'll order the door handle and will get back to you if I need any help with the install!
Expert:  Drew replied 2 years ago.

Sounds great.

Thanks again for the accept and bonus!!

Drew