Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

My Mazda 6 (V6, 2003) hesitates (jerks) when "accelerating"

My Mazda 6 (V6, 2003) hesitates (jerks) when "accelerating" at 2200 RPM. Most noticeable at gears 3, 4 and 5, even when running downhills. Changed and checked all spark plugs. Not an issue. Always use the best gasoline. Never run the gas-tank low.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I suspect that you have a ignition coil starting to fail. Eventually the check engine light will come on to help you know what ignition coil is causing your concern.

You can also bring it to a Mazda dealer and they can hook up to your computer and run a test to determine which cylinder is misfiring while running.

You can also replace all 6 ignition coils.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the ignition coil were the cause, then why isn't there a problem when driving at above 3000 RPM. I have already replaced one ignition coil which has some sign of "aging", but that did not fix the hesitation problem. But you could still be right. I have not checked the other 3 coils yet. They are underneath the manifold, which takes a bit more effort. It's a weekend job. Thanks.
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

Your engine should have 6 ignition coil. At higher RPM when less load and stress is placed on the ignition coil, the misfire may not be noticed. During acceleration is when the engine misfire is most noticeable.

I suggest replacing the 3 under the intake manifold and test drive for change. The front coils are easy to change and swap if necessary between test drives.

Make sure there is no sign of water or oil in the spark plug coil hole. The oil or water will cause the ignition coil to arc to ground and not at the spark plug.