Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show.

Mazda 3 2.3L engine P2177 problem

Customer Question

Currently have a 2009 Mazda 3 with the 2.3L engine and auto trans. It use to have code P2177,P2096,P0137. Cleared them. P2177 returns almost instantly. Cleaned M.A.F and new air filter. Checked O2 wiring which appears good. Fuel trims at idle are STFT +2,-2. LTFT is always +20.3. No obvoius vacuum leaks. Checked with propane and spray cleaner. Fuel Mileage awful, 93miles to a half tank. Did reset fuel trims (batt neg. unhook). No change after idle time. Car is salvage with 27,000 miles. It was hit in the right rear, lightly. I do have copies of the pids and freeze frame on the P2177. Thanks.

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting for assistance. Thank you.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Ivan replied 2 years ago.

Hello and good evening. To have that fuel trim instantly run to +20 and reset the code, means that something is making this computer see a very lean condition. It is dumping fuel into the engine and that is where all the other symptoms are from. The areas that are most likely causing the issue are Coolant temp, mass air flow, air/fuel ratio sensor, or naturally vacuum leaks, unless we lost a ground to the computer or something along those lines. Can you upload the freeze frame data for me, and I'll see if there are any clues there. This computer is seeing an unchanging lean condition. Let me see the data you found and we'll try to figure a plan of attack.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I add the snap shots onto just answer?
Expert:  Ivan replied 2 years ago.
You can use that little paperclip at the top of the task bar. That will open to a browsing menu that will let you upload the picture.