BigBob
BigBob, Service manager/Technician
Experience:  25 years in the auto repair business

How do I replace the headlight assemblies on a 2000 Mazda 626?

Category: Mazda
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!!!!

CAUTION: When you Install the headlight, the headlight may hit the edge of the front fender panel. This may cause scratches on the front fender panel. To avoid this, attach protective tape to the edge of the front fender panel.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the front combination light.

graphic

1. Remove in the order indicated in the table.
  2. Install in the reverse order of removal.
  3. Adjust the headlight aiming.

Bob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need more information. What types of tools would I need to do this job? Are there any other screws/bolts that need to be removed in addition to the ones in the diagram? How do I adjust the headlight aiming? Is there a different procedure for the left and right headlights? I would like as many details as possible, and diagrams would be helpful. Thanks.
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
These are the only diagrams that Mazda gives. They always assume the technician knows the terms. The combination lamp is held in by I think 1 or 2 screws. After you remove the combination lamp you remove the bolt in the picture. This is the same procedure for both sides. Typical phillips screwdriver, maybe a pair of side cutters, small socket set is all you will need. You will only need to adjust them if they are off.

HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT

1. Adjust the tire air pressure to the specification.
  2. Position the unloaded vehicle on a flat, level surface.
  3. Seat one person in the driver's seat.
  4. Position the vehicle straight ahead.
  5. While adjusting one headlight, disconnect the connector of the other.
  6. Start: the engine to charge the battery.

graphic

1. Adjust the headlights by turning the adjusting screws as shown in the figure. Loosen the screws first, then tighten them.
NOTE: If the adjusting screws are tightened first, then loosened, they will continue to loosen when the vehicle is in motion and may cause the headlights to become misaligned.

Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So to be clear, I need to remove the side lights first, and then the actual headlights?
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is correct, the cornering lights.

Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In your honest opinion, is this a DIY job, or would it be better to have it done professionally? It doesn't seem too difficult, but I don't want to damage my car or mess something up.
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
I would say it is easy enough for a DIY, but just be careful not to scratch the bumper or paint, cover it up. A mechanic will charge about $100 including aiming to replace both. If you are that worried about it, then put the liability on the professional

Bob
BigBob, Service manager/Technician
Experience: 25 years in the auto repair business