Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner import
29331485

Mazda Tribute: 2.3L engine, changed oil 5000 km..leaks..smell

05 Mazda Tribute, 2.3L engine, changed oil 5000 km ago and now is dry and no visible leaks or smell of burning oil. What should I be looking at/for?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

This is something that gets most good car drivers, oil lose?

Most time when you have this problem you don't notice that you are burning oil
as at start up you don't see this , But in fact when driving you are burning oil at a faster extent than normal (used engine 1 Liter in 5000km)
This is normally due to a bad PCV valve that a lot of shops don't check or is forgotten

Need further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience: 17 years shop owner import
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response. I will go see my mechanic on Monday and see what he has to say about the PCV valve and hope that resolves the issue.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,

Let me know what happens ,

Regards greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the followup. Since your last message I have had the oil changed again and added half a litre of Lucas Oil treatment. I have also looked for oil leaks on the ground and saw none and don't see any blue smoke on startup from the Tribute. I have an appt with my mechanic on Monday for the PCV valve.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Thanks for the follow up .
Keep me informed for further follow ups

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your patience. One week after the oil change, the truck is already down half a litre. Going to see the mechanic on Monday. Will keep you posted.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Did you check the PCV .

You sure you are not burning oil out the exhaust ? let the engine run at 2000 rpm and check the exhaust for a very slight gray/blue smoke coming out the tail pipe?

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The PCV valve will be replaced tomorrow and there have been no signs of smoke on start-up but I will try that as well later today and let you know.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Thank you keep me posted

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We're not finished yet. My mechanic has the valve but has no idea where it goes. Also have a fuel question. Everytime I fuel my vehicle and squeeze the gas pump nozzle it stops after about a dollar like it is full.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Here is the PCV location as shown in the below diagram,

graphic

Also known with this model is the fuel problem and mazda gave out a TSB for this issue

graphic
graphic

Need further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the diagrams, they were a big help to my mechanic. I guess now we wait to see if the oil stops disappearing. How long should it take to replace a PCV valve in my 05 Tribute? In other words, how many hours of labour would you bill for this job?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi

This is a quick job, if you have been with this one mechanic many years
he would probably do it for a beer, otherwise most shop call a minimal of 1hr .

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took my mechanic 5 hours because he had never done it before. Running good so far but only 1 day.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
hi

Good to hear let me know if this was the problem otherwise you may have a problem with the Oil rings or Valve stem seals .

Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg,

Sorry for taking so long to respond but I just checked the oil level after replacing the PCV valve and the oil level was down a litre again and very black. How much will it cost to deal with those other issues?