sean, Car and LCV technician
Experience:  UK City & Guilds qualified with 30 years experience

Mazda RX8 RX8 wouldnt start couldnt engage starter motor,

Customer Question

RX8 wouldnt start couldnt engage starter motor, Information lights flicker on and off. Checked battery it was completely flat so replaced with a new one from Mazda. Again problems on starting same difficulties but managed to jump start it with the help of a breakdown truck and it let me down completely yesterday. Again the same problems when I tried to engage the starter motor, info lights on just, clicking sound. Again it just about started when jumped.Have checked the new battery and its fine 12.5 v on standing, 14.5 after 10 mins running.

I was told it was the starter motor which needs replacing does this sound likely to you.

Category: Mazda
Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

As the battery is new and measures at 12.5 volts when stood then the fault may well be a starter motor concern. If even with a jump start the engine is slow to turn over then before replacing the starter motor check the wiring to the starter motor. Use a multimeter to measure the volt drop between the positive terminal of the battery and the main lead connection on the starter motor when trying to start the car, the reading should be less than 0.5 volts, any higher may indicate a high resistance in the wiring loom. Do the same on the earth side of the starter motor, measure the volt drop between the starter body and the negative terminal on the battery again this should be less than 0.5 volts any higher check the main earth lead for the engine.

If both readings are OK then the fault will be the starter motor.

Let me know if you require further assistance and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,