Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mazda Tribute: A CD is stuck in the 6-CD changer player in

A CD is stuck in the 6-CD changer player in our 2005 Mazda Tribute. It was inserted before the player was ready and shows it has 3 discs when it really has 4, but makes a funny noise and does not play any of them, or allow them to be ejected. What do we do?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You need to remove the radio and sit it in the seat unplugged for 4 plus hours so it can discharge and reset. If the radio then still fails to recognize the cartridge correct allowing you to eject the CDs then it will need to be replaced. You can attempt to take the face plate off and try to unjam it, however there are no manuals to do this offered to auto techs from the audio manufacturer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know how to remove the radio.

graphic

Auto Zone sells these special tools for 8$ which will allow you to pull the radio out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I used the special tool to attempt to remove the stereo unit. I could not remove the unit. It was hanging up on the right side. The left side released as it should, but not the right. Now the unit does not have power. What do I do now?
If you cant get it to release then you will have to remove the trim around the radio, part of the dash. Then use the tools again. Possibly its just the plug that has now come loose.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I remove the trim around the dash on this model? Is it a difficult task? How is it attached - where are the attachment points? I don't want to break anything or damage the finish trying to remove it.

Once you have done step 2 and 3 then pry off the trim cover gently using a tool like a dull kitchen knife.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was finally able to get the unit out without removing the trim. By feeling around through the glovebox access, I realized the DIN tool was not engaging the mounting clips at all. All I needed to do was slant the DIN tool on the right side inward to engage the holes of the mounting clip. Then it slid out as advertised!

I was able to remove the stuck CD. But now, after replacing the unit, it does not power up. No power at all (no clock, etc.). The electrical plugs are fully engaged. What could be the issue? Is there something else I can check? Could it be a blown fuse? I have a multi-meter -- could I also test the power plug?
Most likely you have damaged the circuit board in the radio and its now ruined unable to work. All you can do on the outside is check the involved fuses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How could I have damaged the circuit board?
I cant answer that, I have never taken a radio apart, that not something techs do. If the fuses are good though and it worked prior then this has to be the case/.