Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda 6 Hi, My 2004 Mazda 6 drivers side door is deadlocked

My 2004 Mazda 6 drivers side door is deadlocked 7 cannot be opened by key or electronic ket tag. As the door is closed I cannot take much door trim away to try & release the deadlock & open the door. Could you please advise how the door can be opened?

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

It sounds like you have a faulty door latch.

You will need to remove the door panel as much as you can. Then with the window up, use a long pry bar to reach the latch. Hit the latch (with hammer and pry bar) while a friend is trying to pull on the handle. Continue hitting the door latch until you brake it apart or the door opens.

Then replace the door latch.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

1. Open the cap using a small screwdriver, then remove the screw.
  2. Remove the inner handle cover.
  3. Remove the inner garnish.

1. Remove the cover, then remove screw A.
  2. Remove the lens cover, then remove screw B.
  3. Disengage clips A from the front door using a fastener remover.
  4. Pull the front door trim upward, then disengage tabs B from the front door.
  5. Disconnect the power door mirror switch connector and the power window main switch connector (driver's side) or power window subswitch connector (passenger's side).
  6. Remove the courtesy light.
  7. Remove the front door trim.
  8. Remove the switch panel from the front door trim.
  9. Install in the reverse order of removal.

1. Remove the front door unit.

1. Remove the screws, then remove the front door latch and door lock actuator.
  2. Install in the reverse order of removal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you describe where the door latch is located that I have to smash/ There is limited view so I require exactly where & what it is you need us to hit?
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

It is located at the rear edge of the door. Located half way up from the bottom.

Look at the passenger door. Open the door and look at the edge of the door where it latches to the body. There will be three screws securing it from the outside.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We can feel it but it feels like it has a metal case covering it. I do not think we could smash it. Is there no other way? Surely there is a rod or cable or latch we could flick to open this door. Your way does not fill us with confidence that we will be able to open it sorry???

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We still cannot open the door trying your suggested way. surely there is another way?

Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Sorry but there is no other way unless you use a torch/sawsall and destroy your car.

Continue to brake apart the latch and eventually it will release the latch because there will be nothing left. Trust me I have and to do this several times. It will work.