Amedee
Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2002 Mazda Protege5: my battery died..jumping..blew..main fuse

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5. During a recent storm, my battery died. When jumping the car off, the positive post arced and blew the main fuse. I replaced the battery and the main fuse. Now I have no map or dome lighting, the trip odometer resets every time the car is turned off, I have A/C, but the heater does not blow hot air like it used to, & my hazard switch does not activate (turn signals both work). I have been looking for info on any fusible links and finding nothing, as well as all fuses I can find test as okay. Could all these problems be controlled by the same 1 part, & what is my next step in locating this part?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Have you checked the all of the fuses on board the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All of the fuses in the 2 fuse boxes (1 in engine compartment & 1 in the driverside floorboard) checkout as good.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. because you have several components that are not working, we need to pick one and go after it. We may find that it is related to the others and we may find that it is not related to the other components.

You will need to get a voltmeter so we can check voltage at various places.

Let me know when your ready..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a multimeter. Ready to go...
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. good!

Are you saying that the blower motor works.. but just does not blow hot air?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. It blows warm air after the car is completely warmed up, just not hot.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. do the dash lights work on the instrument cluster?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. All the lights work throughout the center console and dash.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. good.. so just no interior lights.. map and dome lights etc.. correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for being patient..

Can I get your vin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jm1bj245321636125
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Awesome!

Ok.. I want you to check voltage on the "ROOM" fuse. I believe it will be inside the vehicle. It is a 18 amp fuse.. it should be number 8..

Be sure the key is on or engine is running when doing this test. You can check to see if both sides of the fuse have power with your voltmeter without even removing this fuse. Just touch the positive lead to the small metal prongs in the back of the fuse.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse has continuity with and without engine running.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
I know... that is not what we are checking.. we checking to see if this fuse have voltage..
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
I am going to step out for a few minutes.. Run the test and let me know what you find! I will be back with you shortly..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Voltage meter reading drops to 0 as a readout.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

Are you saying that this fuse DOES NOT have battery voltage on it? Did you check it with the key on or engine running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the voltage with the engine running and the reading read 0.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Did you have one lead on battery ground while the other lead was touching the prongs on the back side of the fuse?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was just checking through the two prongs on the back of the physical fuse itself.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
The black lead will need to go on battery ground or some other good ground...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The DC reading varies between 13.77 on one side of the fuse and between 18-19.5 on the other side of the fuse. The AC reading is .024 on one side of the fuse and .002 on the other side of the fuse. Engine is running during this check.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. you may want to double check that reading. We are measuring DC currently only.

The first DC reading you gave we is good. The second.. not so much. This is a 12 volt system we are working with and the alternator will only add about 2 volts when the engine is running. There is no way possible that one side of the fuse is at 18 volts. If so, then you have a charging system problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gotcha. Retest results in DC.

Engine running: top side of the fuse tests at 14 at first and slowly climbs. Seeing 21.1 now. Bottom side of fuse tests at 14.1.

Ignition switch on but engine not running: top side of fuse tests at 24.5. Bottom side of fuse tests at 12.46.

I'm actually seeing the top side of fuse still climbing with engine off. Its reading 25.6 now.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. then chances are this fuse is bad or you are getting a bad reading.

I would just pull it out and have a good look at it.. and even replace it regardless..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Replacing the fuse fixed the map and dome lights. Heat seems like it might be fine. Hazard lights still inop.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
HA! EXCELLENT! We are getting closer!

Check the 15 amp hazard fuse... first.. My references do not say if this fuse is inside the vehicle or under the hood so you will have to check both places..

If this fuse is good, then tell me how much volts this fuse with the engine running..

Going to step out for a bit.. be back soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse looks good and tests at 14 even.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. then if all of the wiring checks out ok, then you have a bad hazard switch or a bad flasher control module.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Amedee, Mazda Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector