Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner import
29331485

1991 mazda 626: fuel, compression,spark.It..you choke the intake

Customer Question

My 1991 mazda 626 will not start. It has fuel, compression,spark.It will only fire if you choke the intake. Any suggestions on what to try. I have put in a new fuel pump and new spark plugs.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

be sure you have the spark plug wire connected to the right cylinders

Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
how much compression does each cylinder have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Spark plug wires were correct. The car still does not start. Each cylinder has between 120 and 150 compression.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
be sure the spark is bright orange.if it is a blue spark it is weak and could be a bad coil
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
will it start with starting fluid?did you check fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has a bright orange spark and it does start with starting fluid. The fuel pressure is 60 psi.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.

check to see if you have injector pulse to the injectors with a test light or noid light

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i do. I tried turning the distributor 1/4" and it ran for about 5 seconds and then died.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

If the car started after turning the distributor 1/4 turn then i suggest you check the timing belt is still on time.

You said compression was between 120 and 150 this is a big difference between the cylinders , you should no have more than 5 - 20 % difference between the cylinders.

Timing belts should be replaced at 60.000miles or every 5 years when was your belt last replaced.

Please check these items then get back to me for further assistance

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
timing belt seems fine. when it ran for a few seconds it ran good. Ran number 1 cylinder to tdc and cam shaft was at timing mark.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
hI

Okay put it back at TDC, then check the position of your rotor in the distributor
is it pointing towards the # 1 referenced from the Cap where #1 is.

Timing marks just to be sure.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Didt cap and #1 position,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does reference number 1 on the the cap. But will not fire there unless you turn the dist. a 1/4" advance. Does it have to be vacuum advanced to initiate start? The vacuum advance does work on the distrib. when you suck on the hose to the distrib. Is there any vacuum switches in the car that would keep it running? Is there a vacuum switch that keeps power to the fuel pump?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi

No vacuum advance is needed to start your engine .

So when you have the engine at TDC the rotor is pointing to the #1 .

There has to be something mis misaligned if the car will only fire if you turn the dis 1/4 turn
recheck the firing order of the ignition wires, you may have the 2 and 3 crossed?

Regards Greg