Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Miata Cruise Control Problem

My high mileage '91 Miata has cruise control and the dash switch lights the panel light but the system won't work. Is there a fuse to check? And if not that, what should be checked and in what order? Thanks. Car has the 1.6L four and 5-speed manual.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

The 10a meter fuse supplies voltage to the illumination of the cruise control switch, when switch is toggled to the on position.

If the fuse is good, and the cruise control work, I suspect you have a faulty switch.

Here is a wiring diagram of the system.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Drew

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry if I miscommunicated. The panel light works. The cruise control system itself does not. When I hit "set" or whatever, nothing happens. Car won't hold speed. So what do I check on the system, not just the light. Thanks.
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

If the cruise control light illuminates with switch on, then that fuse is good.

Next step is to make sure the brake light switch is working. Hit the brake pedal and verify the brake lights come in.

If the brake lights work, the next test is to check the clutch pedal switch. Remove the switch and test with a ohm meter to verify open circuit and close circuit with plunger depressed.

The barke switch and clutch switch are the most common faults.

If that that test ok, check all connections to the cruise control servo and verify cable is attached to the throttle body.

If all check ok, let me know and I will give you some advanced diagnosis steps to determine the cause of your concern.

Here is a diagnosis procedure to retrieve fault codes from you cruise control module. This fault code will help determine the system that is causing your concern.

Thanks

Drew

graphic

graphic

1. Locate cruise control unit connector.
  2. Connect a 1.4 watt test lamp between terminals shown with connector attached to the control unit, Figs. 22 and 23.
  3. Turn ignition switch to the On position.
  4. Turn cruise control On using the Main switch then turn and hold Resume/Accel switch for more than three seconds. The test lamp will illuminate for three seconds and go out for two seconds.
  5. The self diagnostic system is activated and the test light will flash if a problem is present.
  6. Note condition (trouble) codes and refer to Fig. 24, for possible cause and action.
  7. After receiving codes, drive vehicle at speeds of 10 mph or more, or press Main switch to deactivate self diagnosis.