Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2001 mazda millenia s cooling fans wont work

Customer Question

2001 mazda millenia s cooling fans won't work
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Don Knight replied 5 years ago.

donalde :

First thing i would like you to check is the Engine fuse under the left side of the dash.Also check the AD Fan fuse under the hood.If neither fans are coming on first check the blue/green wire at the condensor fan for power.Before I go any farther I need to know which engine you have because of the wiring is a little different for the 2.3 or the 2.5 engine.The 2.3 liter has 5 relays for that system and the 2.5 has just three.Please let me know which engine you have and we can go from there,Don

Customer:

2.3 miller cycle

donalde :

Well you have the complicated one but lets get started.Since both fans dont come, with the engine running and the a/c on check for power on the blue/green wire on the condensor fan.The condensor fan has just two wires going to it and the radiator fan has four wires.If you have power on that wire check to see if you have power coming out on the green wire.I would also like you to check for power on either the blue/red,blue/black or blue yellow wires at the cooling fan motor.Please let me know what you have so far and we can go from there,Don

Customer:

what i did is take off the relay #2 and jump it and the radiator fan came on. i checked the blue/green wire and is no power

donalde :

Check the condenser fan relay for power on the red/blue wire and the black/white wire.If you have power on those wires with the engine running and the a/c on you should get a ground signal on the red/white wire from the PCM.Please let me know what you find,Don

Customer:

Let me tell you the whole story, I bought the car with a blown engine. I replaced the engine and I have the problem with the cooling fans do not know if this will help you find the problem?

donalde :

Did you check for power and grounds on the circuits I mentioned in my earlier post?I dont see how replacing the engine as being your problem.You have an electrical problem if the fans work so we need to find out just what is not suppling power to the fan circuit.

Customer:

i did and is no power through the fan

donalde :

Check the fan motor for continuity.You will need an ohm meter and check from either wire going to and from the fan.If you have an open reading then the motor is defective.

Customer:

ok, i did and i have continuity from fan motor

donalde :

On the condensor fan relay#1 what did you find with the power and ground?

Customer:

ok, in the fan relay#1 no voltage on coils. com energized

Customer:

relay # XXXXX and 3 are energized

donalde :

Lets back up here.There are 5 relays for this system.Two are for the condenser fan and three are for the cooling fan relay.When you tell me that fan relay #1 has no voltage I need to know which relay you are reffering to.The cooling fan#1 relay gets power on the black/white wire from the engine fuse(15 amp) under the left side of the dash.Please let me know which relay you are checking,Don

Customer:

OK, I FOUND ONLY 3 FAN RELAYS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. I DON'T NOW WHERE ARE THE OTHER 2 THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Here is a friendly assist from another EXPERT.

You see very intelligent and maybe a wiring diagram will come in handy.

Here are the wiring diagrams for both of your fan circuits. You may want to double check all related fuses in both circuits. Use a test light to probe the small hole in the top of each fuse, with the engine running, to verify supply voltage is present.

Please feel free to reply if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Drew

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey, do you know if is any relation cooling fan with the power steering wheel and TCS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey, do you know if is any relation cooling fan with the power steering wheel and TCS. I'm ask because all 3 star have a problem at the same time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey, do you know if is any relation cooling fan with the steering wheel tilting and TCS. I'm ask because all 3 star have a problem at the same time.
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

If the main fuse, ignition fuse or engine fuse is blown, you will have problems with other systems.

Thanks

Drew

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you tell me where is located the water temp sensor?
Expert:  Drew replied 5 years ago.

Here is the location of the ECT (coolant temp sensor)

graphic

1. PCM
  2. MAF sensor
  3. CMP sensor
  4. CKP sensor
  5. Fuel tank pressure sensor
  6. MAP sensor
  7. TP sensor
  8. ECT sensor
  9. IAT sensor (Air cleaner)
  10. IAT sensor (Dynamic chamber)
  11. IAT sensor (L/C)
  12. H02S (front, rear)
  13. Knock sensor
  14. EGR valve position sensor
  15. PSP switch
  16. Main relay
  17. Fuel pump relay
  18. Cooling fan relay
  19. Condenser fan relay
  20. A/C relay
  21. Brake switch

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION

NOTE: When the ECT sensor is difficult to remove, remove the cylinder head cover (RH).

1. Remove the ECT sensor using the SST.
  2. Install in the reverse order of removal.

Tightening torque: 16 - 23 N.m {1.6 - 2.4 kgf.m, 12 - 17 ft.lbf}

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Coolant Temperature Sensor/Switch (For Computer)
Coolant Temp SensorB59318840A$40.67
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
ReplaceB3.24.6

Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience: 19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.