b-kitchener
b-kitchener, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Certified Mazda Technician of 18 years
17143921

2003 MAZDA TRIBUTE: mechanical..WITH 85,000 MILES ON IT..BYPASS..FOB

Customer Question

First off, I am very mechanical but broke! OK NOW THAT WE SET THE STAGE, I HAVE A 2003 MAZDA TRIBUTE WITH 85,000 MILES ON IT IN GOOD SHAPE THAT WON'T START. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE WHOLE INTERNET $4.99 ALARM SYSTEM BYPASS THING, TRIED TO REPROGRAM THE FOB AND KEY AS IT STATES IN THE MANUAL AND VIA THE INTERNET WITHOUT AVAIL. I HAVE ONLY ONE KEY AS WELL AS ONE FOB. THE ACE HARDWARE GUY HAS A PROGRAM TO MAKE CHIPPED KEYS WHICH I ALSO BOUGHT INTO (78.00). I KNOW I CAN FIX THIS BUT NEED A LITTLE HELP FROM A PRO.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  thomas3767 replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the only way to fix this problem is have 2 keys cut and have them programed by the dealer or a locksmith. If they do not take program the sensor that picks up the key signal sometimes fails. But most of the time it is just a bad key.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But I bypassed the oem alarm system and it still won't start.
Is your antitheft light blinking? I work at the dealer and I know no way to bypass the system, It is done thru the engine control module. It can't be bypassed,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is what I paid 4.99 for at wirewerx.com but it did not work.

Ok, not a problem, this can be done! Get out some basic install tools or get
a friend or a good technician
in there to do this.
Normally, you would insert the key in
the drivers door, turn left, then right
to disarm and reset it. Yours was reset.
Try key in the drivers door, turn left, then
right to disarm and unlock. If no joy,
you can disable it for good by doing the
following:
The FACTORY ALARM DISARM WIRE IS
blue/lt green |- | located at the 26 pin plug
at the GEM. The GEM (generic electronic module)
is behind the center console on the floor.
Pull off the black panel to the right of the gas pedal,
there will be carpet covering it.
The plugs face the driver side of the vehicle.
Once Located, splice into this wire with
a similar gauge wire, and put it to
a solid chassis ground. This terminates
the OEM alarm functions entirely.
However, at this point, this car would be exceedingly
easy to steel, so I suggest you get an aftermarket
alarm system to protect it from here on in.
If you have already have an after market alarm
however:
(SIREN & FLASHING PARKING LIGHTS= AFTER MARKET
or is it:
CAR HORN & FLASHING HEADLIGHTS= OEM-FACTORY)
Then look for the over ride/valet button under
the dash area, probably to the left leg region,
drilled into the plastic kick panel.
Then it's: KEY ON, PRESS AND HOLD IN BUTTON FIRMLY
UNTIL THE SIREN CHIRPS ONCE, AND THE PARKING LIGHTS
FLASH. THEN KEY OFF.
This is over ride, and the car should start.
The only thing that would work would be keyless
entry if it is installed. The alarm functions
have been suspended.
Let me know which applied to your issue. Good luck, & Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX/CEO
ALARMTEK ONLINE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, stuck in neutral here. Is there someone there that can help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I HAVE A 2003 MAZDA TRIBUTE WITH 85,000 MILES ON IT IN GOOD SHAPE THAT WON'T START. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE WHOLE INTERNET $4.99 ALARM SYSTEM BYPASS THING, TRIED TO REPROGRAM THE FOB AND KEY AS IT STATES IN THE MANUAL AND VIA THE INTERNET WITHOUT AVAIL. I HAVE ONLY ONE KEY AS WELL AS ONE FOB. THE ACE HARDWARE GUY HAS A PROGRAM TO MAKE CHIPPED KEYS WHICH I ALSO BOUGHT INTO (78.00). I KNOW I CAN FIX THIS BUT NEED A LITTLE HELP FROM A PRO.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE A 2003 MAZDA TRIBUTE WITH 85,000 MILES ON IT IN GOOD SHAPE THAT WON'T START. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE WHOLE INTERNET $4.99 ALARM SYSTEM BYPASS THING, TRIED TO REPROGRAM THE FOB AND KEY AS IT STATES IN THE MANUAL AND VIA THE INTERNET WITHOUT AVAIL. I HAVE ONLY ONE KEY AS WELL AS ONE FOB. THE ACE HARDWARE GUY HAS A PROGRAM TO MAKE CHIPPED KEYS WHICH I ALSO BOUGHT INTO (78.00). I KNOW I CAN FIX THIS BUT NEED A LITTLE HE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  b-kitchener replied 5 years ago.
What you have here is possibly related to the (PATS) passive anti theft system which has nothing to do with the factory alarm or door lock controls, this bypass that you did only sends a signal to the GEM module that your drivers door is always unlocked! It has no affect whatsoever on the PATS! The chip in your key is read from a transponder ring that is located under the steering column bezel and your ignition key is actually inserted through the ring as you put the key into the ignition, the transponder key will send a signal through the ring and to the PCM to enable the engine to start! When you turn your key to the cranking position does the theft light in the instrument cluster flash rapidly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bob,
In the interim I have figured out the problem myself, it wound up being a bad fuel pump.